none
Restarting MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE service causes massive event ID's 17137 3454 9688 9666 3408 18456 26048

Question

• Hello,

I am not sure if this is the correct area to post this but going to start here. 

Server Details

Server 2008 SP2

WSUS 3.0 SP 2 installed

SEPM 12.1 Installed

This is the Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE) here C:\Windows\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe -sMICROSOFT##SSEE

When I restart the service or stop and start the service I get a slew of event ID's and or errors. I will show them in the attached image. Any idea what this is? As far as I can t tell WSUS works correctly and so does SEPM; clients get updated as usual. See picture below.

This never use to happen any idea what could be causing this? I tried to look up the ID's and no real useful information. Here are some event ID's

The description for Event ID 3454 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

SUSDB

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

The description for Event ID 17137 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

SUSDB

The description for Event ID 9688 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 9666 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Database Mirroring

The description for Event ID 18456 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
     [CLIENT: <named pipe>]

I can add more if need be, any help would be great. Thank you.

Knowledge is power.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Sevensins,

From the screenshot you provided, we can see that the main error is event 18056.

This error message is just reporting that a client is reusing a pooled connection and when the connection was reset, the server received an attention (in this case, a client disconnect) during the connection reset processing on the server side. This could be due to either a performance bottleneck on the server/environment or a plain application disconnect. The error message is aimed at helping in troubleshooting the first category of problems. If you do see some other issues at the same time though, these errors may be an indicator of what is going on at the engine side.

Please do as below:

a.The foremost task would be to scan the SQL Errorlog and determine if this error message is accompanied before/after by some other error message or warning like Non-yielding messages, Out of Memory (OOM) error message (Error 701, Failed Allocate Pages etc.).

b.The next action item would be to determine if there is high CPU usage on the server or any other resource bottleneck on the Windows Server. Windows Performance Monitor (Perfmon) would be your best friend here.

c.Lastly, check if the Network between the Client and Server is facing any latency issues or if network packets drops are occurring frequently. A Netmon trace should help you here

Iric Wen

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Hello again,

Sorry for my slow response, I have been out sick :(. Thank you for your responses. What I did was completely remove WSUS and uninstalled the Windows Internal Database service and all the database files. The only thing this service is used for on this server is the WSUS. After a reinstall of WSUS, all those errors are gone. What I find strange is the WSUS was working fine before and it is working fine now. I wasn't sure where to look for log files for the Internal Database. There were some log files located in the SSEE directory but they were not very helpful.

I followed the instructions below after removing the WSUS from add and remove programs.

To uninstall Windows Internal Database
    1. Open a command shell.

2. Call msiexec with the correct key for the operating system platform.

• On 32-bit platforms: msiexec /x {CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} callerid=ocsetup.exe
      • On 64-bit platforms: msiexec /x {BDD79957-5801-4A2D-B09E-852E7FA64D01} callerid=ocsetup.exe
    ImportantImportant
    The removal of the application may not remove the default .mdb and .ldb files, which will cause a subsequent WSUS 3.0 installation to fail. These files can be deleted from the %windir%\SYSMSI\SSEE directory.

Knowledge is power.

• Marked as answer by Sevensins Monday, November 19, 2012 4:56 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Sevensins,

From the screenshot you provided, we can see that the main error is event 18056.

This error message is just reporting that a client is reusing a pooled connection and when the connection was reset, the server received an attention (in this case, a client disconnect) during the connection reset processing on the server side. This could be due to either a performance bottleneck on the server/environment or a plain application disconnect. The error message is aimed at helping in troubleshooting the first category of problems. If you do see some other issues at the same time though, these errors may be an indicator of what is going on at the engine side.

Please do as below:

a.The foremost task would be to scan the SQL Errorlog and determine if this error message is accompanied before/after by some other error message or warning like Non-yielding messages, Out of Memory (OOM) error message (Error 701, Failed Allocate Pages etc.).

b.The next action item would be to determine if there is high CPU usage on the server or any other resource bottleneck on the Windows Server. Windows Performance Monitor (Perfmon) would be your best friend here.

c.Lastly, check if the Network between the Client and Server is facing any latency issues or if network packets drops are occurring frequently. A Netmon trace should help you here

Iric Wen

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Hello,

With the Iric's advices, have you been able to solve your problem ?

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Hello again,

Sorry for my slow response, I have been out sick :(. Thank you for your responses. What I did was completely remove WSUS and uninstalled the Windows Internal Database service and all the database files. The only thing this service is used for on this server is the WSUS. After a reinstall of WSUS, all those errors are gone. What I find strange is the WSUS was working fine before and it is working fine now. I wasn't sure where to look for log files for the Internal Database. There were some log files located in the SSEE directory but they were not very helpful.

I followed the instructions below after removing the WSUS from add and remove programs.

To uninstall Windows Internal Database
    1. Open a command shell.

2. Call msiexec with the correct key for the operating system platform.

• On 32-bit platforms: msiexec /x {CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} callerid=ocsetup.exe
      • On 64-bit platforms: msiexec /x {BDD79957-5801-4A2D-B09E-852E7FA64D01} callerid=ocsetup.exe
    ImportantImportant
    The removal of the application may not remove the default .mdb and .ldb files, which will cause a subsequent WSUS 3.0 installation to fail. These files can be deleted from the %windir%\SYSMSI\SSEE directory.

Knowledge is power.

• Marked as answer by Sevensins Monday, November 19, 2012 4:56 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 4:55 PM