none
SQl SErver 2008 "Restart Computer Failed"

Question

• I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 in Vista Home Basic but when it runs the rules it says that the computer needs to be restarted. I have read other peoples solutions to this problem but none works for me.

I know that it can be install from the command line but is there a parameter that you can add to bypass that rule check.

Sunday, November 09, 2008 4:06 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

I am also having the same problem. None of the other solutions worked for me. I am using Windows XP home edition SP2. Any help would be great!
    Sunday, November 09, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Hello,

For HelloCasey and Millin44, please, could tell us which edition of Sql Server 2008 are you trying to install ?

(Express basic,Express with advanced services,Workgroup,Standard,Dev)

We are waiting for your feedback to try to help you more efficiently

Have a nice day

PS : Have you already installed the update of .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and possibly of your Visual Studio ( Express 2005/2008 ) ?

It would be better to install first all your updates ( and PowerShell ) and to reboot before to try to install Sql Server 2008.

It is maybe an error but Vista Home Basic and XP Home SP2 are maybe "light" to install Sql Server 2008

Sunday, November 09, 2008 10:25 PM
  • I have tried both, the express and the one with advanced services. I don,t have Visual Studio Installed on this machine but I have Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and Power Shell.

Now that you say that maybe Home Basic is the problem I just remember that I had Home Basic in my laptop and could not install SLQ server 2008 because of the "Restart Computer" rule but after I upgraded to Home Premium the installation ran fine.

Maybe that is the problem.

Monday, November 10, 2008 1:16 PM
  • Hello HelloCasey and Millin44,

I don't know exactly what are the Sql Server 2008 editions you want to install, but you should have a look on this link :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx#Express32

You will see that Vista Home Basic is accepted only for Express Editions and that for not-free editons, Vista Home is not on the list of "accepted" OS ( i think that it is the same problem for XP Home ( moreover with Home editions of XP/Vista, you may not have IIS and so the Reporting Services are not available for install, except maybe for Vista Home Premium )

Have a nice day

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:54 PM
  •  

Hello,

Again I have windows xp home edition sp 2. I am downloading sql 1008 express with advances services (although i did try to download express without advanced services and got the same error). I looked on that website you posted, and I SHOULD be able to download it...

I did download all the pre-req's. I also have VS 2008 installed.

I downloaded SQL express 2005  with adv services without a problem, however, I am required to install 2008 for a school project... So, i don't know where to go from here

Monday, November 10, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Hello,

Have you installed all the pre-requisites including Powershell and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 ( for a standard/pro edition ) or /and Visual Studio Express 2008 SP1 ( if you have at least one of them VC#/VB,VWD ) ?

After the reboot, you should install your Sql Server Express 2008 with no problem.

For myself :

- install PowerShell 1.0 + reboot

- .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 + reboot

- Visual Studio 2008 SP1 ( for my Visual Studio Standard ) + reboot

- Visual Studio Express 2008 SP1 ( for mt VC# Expess 2008 ) + reboot

All reboots are not necessary but i am sure that the install is well finished with the reboot

Afterwards, you install your Sql Server 2008 Express ( with advanced services except that you will not be able to install

the Reporting Services no IIS with XP Home....)

Have a nice day

Monday, November 10, 2008 10:10 PM
  • I think the Visual Studio is not a requirement to install SQL server 2008, in fact in my laptop I installed SQL first and afterwards Visual Studio.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Yeah, I already downloaded all of that. There's got to be a way to bypass the "restart required" step....?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:44 PM
  •  

Hello,

Can you please provide the logs for the installation ?

The logs are located at :%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<Timestamp>\Detail*.txt

Thank you.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:42 PM
  • I look at the logs in all my installation attemps and they all say the same thing, that the "Computer Restart" rule failed.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:18 PM
  • Hello,

I am asking for the logs to detect what might have caused the rule to fail. If the rule is triggered there might be another instalation that already requires reboot, or an instalation that did not finish. The rule checks the registry for pending rename file operations that are marked by other programs , updates, hotfixes etc .  Here are two links  

The first one is a description of the key :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/58499.mspx?mfr=true

The second one is a smal tool that will show you what pending files are marked in the registry :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897556.aspx

These should help figure out what causes the rule to fail.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I ran the utilities and deleted the offending entries from the registyer and it worked.

Thanks to everybody

Friday, November 14, 2008 3:24 AM
  • I had the same problem on XP SP3. I downloaded the tools and removed the registry entry (\??\C:\Program Files\HPQ\Shared\hpqwmi.event). Then I rebooted and got the same problem.

The trick appears to be removing the registry entry and then not rebooting but just rerunning the installer test.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 6:36 AM
  • I've tried all of this stuff and I still get "Restart Computer failed".  In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager I have no folder called "PendingFileRenameOperations", however, I do have a "FileRenameOperations" folder which has an item in it that has (default) next to it, I attempt to delete it and it says "Unable to delete all specified values".  I am the sole owner and user of this box, using XP Pro with SP3.  Any suggestions on a next step would be greatly appreciated. 
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:42 AM
  • An interesting fix... I had a webcam related file in my \Windows\Temp folder that was holding things up. Thank you very much for your help, George. It is very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Lon
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:51 AM
  • i tried to run the smal tool but when i click the pendmoves.exe or movefiles.exe a command prompt appears and then disappears automatically and nothing else happens...... i ran the setup.exe of sql server 2008 but the error wasnt gone, still needs a restart plz help

Saturday, September 12, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Me too... I dusted off my DOS memory and opened a cmd window, then executed from there. all stays up My issue was a Logitec camera. Uninstalled the software for the webcam and SQL install worked a treat.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Very strange for me as well... It was logitech Camera installed on my machine, I just uninstalled it and sql server 2008 setup on the Windows 7 goes Phewwww!!!

It is harmful to have camera on PC sometimes :)

Thanks. 

Friday, January 13, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Hello,

I am asking for the logs to detect what might have caused the rule to fail. If the rule is triggered there might be another instalation that already requires reboot, or an instalation that did not finish. The rule checks the registry for pending rename file operations that are marked by other programs , updates, hotfixes etc .  Here are two links  

The first one is a description of the key :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/58499.mspx?mfr=true

The second one is a smal tool that will show you what pending files are marked in the registry :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897556.aspx

These should help figure out what causes the rule to fail.

Work for me .. i deleted the 2 string in the string PendingFileRenameOperations 

thanks !

oasis in my heart

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:10 AM