none
SQL2008 SSMS errors when importing registered servers from SQL2005 SSMS

Answers

All replies

• We already known this bug in SQL 2008 that you can't import a SQL 2005 server list (exported as a regsrvr file).
    There was a bug reported for this issue and Microsoft has closed this saying WONT BE FIXED.
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=366121&wa=wsignin1.0

But fortunately , Buck Woody has provided a simple solution on his Blog: Importing SQL Server 2005 Registered Servers to SQL Server 2008.

Check and try this .

Thanks, Leks
    • Marked as answer by Alex Feng (SQL)Moderator Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by edsun Friday, January 22, 2010 10:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by edsun Friday, January 22, 2010 10:39 PM
    Friday, January 08, 2010 1:12 AM
    Answerer
  • We already known this bug in SQL 2008 that you can't import a SQL 2005 server list (exported as a regsrvr file).
    There was a bug reported for this issue and Microsoft has closed this saying WONT BE FIXED.
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=366121&wa=wsignin1.0

But fortunately , Buck Woody has provided a simple solution on his Blog: Importing SQL Server 2005 Registered Servers to SQL Server 2008.

Check and try this .

Thanks, Leks
    Sorry this fix does not work for me, or the instructions are not clear to me,
    1. On the SQL Server 2005 system, shut down SSMS and copy out the files in this location: “%appdata%\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\RegSrvr.xml
    2. Now copy those files to the same location when you installed SQL Server 2008.
    what files?? I copied only RegSrvr.xml  and still get the same error

Manfred
    Friday, February 05, 2010 1:25 PM
  • I am too having issues while Importing SQL Server 2005 Registered Servers to SQL Server 2008. I exported the server list and then had my laptop re-imaged by IT. I loaded SQL Server 2008 and tried to import the server and got the error:

Cannot import from ....

The operation 'Import' failed. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.RegisteredServers)

Serialization output is invalid. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

'None' is an invalid XmlNodeType. Line 1022, position 10. (System.Xml)

Does anyone have a solution for this ?

Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Hi All,

Just wanted to know what is the difference between a  Local profile and Roaming profile.

and i did find RegSrvr.xml in 2 local locations. what does it means???

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools

\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell

Thanks

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:14 AM