none
SQL Server Service in Cluster remains in Restart Pending OR Failed - Help needed urgently

Question

• Hi All,

We have a 2 Node SQL Server 2012 Cluster - on Active, Passive mode running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Operating Systems.

The cluster was all working fine for many weeks and suddenly after certain unexpected restart, the node 1 or node 2 does not work properly. In the Resources Window, the Disk is online, the overall cluster is online, but the SQL Server Service and SQL Server Agent Service are in Failed State. When I tried bringing them online, for about 10 minutes - it goes to "Pending" state and then again it goes back to Failed mode. During the Pending state, SQL Server Management Studio connects successfully but after it goes to Failed State, it stops connecting.

Tried all possible option changes, but unable to find a correct solution :(

Looking forward to your support...

Thanks a lot again!

Karthick

Karthick

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Karthick,

Please share all relevant logs from SQL server errorlog and Windows event viewer .

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:34 PM
  • The SQL Server resource has dependencies as well - the sqlservr.exe file, the system databases, the location of the error log, etc. As Shanky_621 pointed out, the SQL Server error log will tell you more about the cause. Open the file using Notepad if you can't log in to SQL Server to open it.

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recover Deep Dive Course

Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:34 PM
  • Hi, 

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=221B27D91E62E3A7%211159

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=221B27D91E62E3A7%211160

I have taken the Cluster Logs from both the nodes and uploaded them to Skydrive and shared the links here.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Karthick

Karthick

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:56 AM
  • SQL startup failures are logged in the Windows Application log as well as the SQL Server log. That is where the failure will show up.  Also Windows System log may have some key information.  The Cluster log merely logs changes to the cluster configuration.

Geoff N. Hiten Architect Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Friday, January 17, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Hello Karthick,

Is the issue solved ,If yes can you post the solution  ? If not can you post error messages as advised by Geoff.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, January 20, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Hi, I destroyed the cluster and re-installed it - all services came up online. This was on Friday, but today, the customer again reported that - the cluster is showing error in SQL Server Service : "Online Pending". This is quite disappointing as I thought the service would come up after re-installation.

Any thoughts on this? I am really having a big trouble

Karthick

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:19 AM
  • I also wanted to mention that - there are 2 physical nodes and these 2 SQL Nodes are two separate HyperV Virtual machines on different physical nodes.

Does it make any difference? Any separate configuration to be done?

Karthick

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:39 AM