none
StreamInsight version compatability

Question

• Hi,

I have the following questions related SI versions.

• Can I have 2 different versions of StreamInsight on the same machine? (for example: SI v1.1 and SI v1.2)
    • What happens if I have SI application created with SI version 1.1, but the target machine has SI version 1.2? Can my application run without any breaking? (my SI 1.1 version app is compataible with SI 1.2 version?)
    • SI has any dependency on SQL Server? Can I install SI on a non SQL database machine? or Any SQL or SQL CE components are mandatory? (I know we need SQL 2008 license, but not sure whether SI has any direct/indirect dependency on SQL Server components)

Any one has any thoughts on these questions? thanks.

Venkat

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:14 PM

Answers

• StreamInsight 2.0 is only available with Sql Server 2012. It will require a Sql Server 2012 license. See this section in the documentation for StreamInsight 2.0 regarding backwards compatability.

In short, for 2.0, you need to do the following to ensure backwards compat:

1. Use Framework 4.0.
    2. Uninstall 1.2
    3. Put a binding redirect in your config file.
    4. If your application has the instance name hard coded do one of the following:
      -  Install 2.0 with the same instance name
      -  Recompile the code with the new StreamInsight instance name.

DevBiker (aka J Sawyer)
    My Blog
    My Bike - Concours 14

If I answered your question, please mark as answer.
    If my post was helpful, please mark as helpful.

• Proposed as answer by DevBikerMVP Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:51 AM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:27 PM

All replies

• Here is my take on this.

1. StreamInsight appears to be installed on the system side-by-side. The assemblies are all installed in a separate folder based on the version. I would say you can have the two versions on the same machine

2. If your app is built against the 1.1 binaries, it will only work on the target machine (with 1.2 binaries) if you have appropriate assembly rebinding policies in place. In general (without assembly rebinding) I would not expect it to work, since the compiled app will be looking for 1.1 binaries of CEP on the target

3. Your streaminsight app has no dependencies on SQL Server. You don't have to have any instance of SQL server installed on the server running your app.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:43 PM
  • If I remember correctly (and it's been a while) an application that is build against 1.1 will run if only 1.2 is installed but the opposite (naturally) is not the case.

DevBiker (aka J Sawyer)
    My Blog
    My Bike - Concours 14

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:09 PM
  • DevBiker and FarnhamSurrey,

I think what you said is correct, logically and it makes sense to work this way. We may need to build redirection polices for the assemblies:

Microsoft.ComplexEventProcessing and Microsoft.ComplexEventProcessing.Adapters

DevBiker, what you said should work provided if we have rediretion policies. But I hope that, the SI engine itsefl does not break (My application earlier connecting to V1.1 SI Engine, shoould work fine if it connects to V1.2 engine)

Can any one from MS share their official documentation on this?

Venkat

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Is there a reason why you can't rebuild your app against StreamInsight 1.2? That would solve your problem of 1.2 on the target

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:04 AM
  • Yes, i can rebuild my app for now with SI 1.2

I am asking this question for future purposes... today i can rebuild it, since it is not yet into production. But once we release we may not have option to rebuild every time when new version comes(if required we can, but that is only last option)

Venkat

Friday, February 24, 2012 12:49 PM
  • If that is the case, one thing that you need to be aware of is that StreamInsight 2.0 (with Sql Server 2012) will only support Framework 4.0; there will be no support for Framework 3.5 as there is now. So you may want to make sure that you build against .NET 4.0 to ensure future forward compatability.

DevBiker (aka J Sawyer)
    My Blog
    My Bike - Concours 14

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Hi DevBiker,

the latest SI download I can see on internet is SI 1.2. I can't find the SI 2.0 installation.

Is it comes only with SQL 2012? I can't have it without SQL 2012?

Our programs support only SQL Server 2008 (as of now), so wondering how to get SI 2.0 installaiton.

Venkat

Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:41 AM
  • StreamInsight 2.0 is only available with Sql Server 2012. It will require a Sql Server 2012 license. See this section in the documentation for StreamInsight 2.0 regarding backwards compatability.

In short, for 2.0, you need to do the following to ensure backwards compat:

1. Use Framework 4.0.
    2. Uninstall 1.2
    3. Put a binding redirect in your config file.
    4. If your application has the instance name hard coded do one of the following:
      -  Install 2.0 with the same instance name
      -  Recompile the code with the new StreamInsight instance name.

DevBiker (aka J Sawyer)
    My Blog
    My Bike - Concours 14

• Proposed as answer by DevBikerMVP Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:51 AM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:27 PM