none
How to find a record then edit using sql server management studio

Question

• Hello,

A very basic question:

I want to find a record stored in MS SQL Server 2008 express database table then edit the record.

I tried to do it using SQL Server 2008 management studio express because I have been using MS Access database all the time. I have right clicked the table in management studio, clicked the "Edit top 200 records" menu item then when records were displayed on the result pane, I pressed Ctrl + F key to find a student named Simon for example. Well, nothing happened. I couldn't see any dialog boxes for putting in the search criteria.

I guess I cannot simply use Ctrl+F in SQL Server management studio to find / edit a record.

Can someone please teach me how to find a record specifying a search criteria then edit the record in SQL server management studio?

Friday, February 01, 2013 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi ZKM128,

I have not seen Ctrl+F to be used to look for desired rows in Sql server.

On the result pane after you selected "Edit top 200 records", just right click , select PANE, SQL, you will get the T-Sql query t,here you need to mention the exact criteria which you are looking for, and then you will get the desired rows and then you can edit.

Thanks
    Manish

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Marked as answer by ZKM128 Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:07 AM
    Friday, February 01, 2013 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi ZKM128,

I have not seen Ctrl+F to be used to look for desired rows in Sql server.

On the result pane after you selected "Edit top 200 records", just right click , select PANE, SQL, you will get the T-Sql query t,here you need to mention the exact criteria which you are looking for, and then you will get the desired rows and then you can edit.

Thanks
    Manish

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Marked as answer by ZKM128 Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:07 AM
    Friday, February 01, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Thank you :-)
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:08 AM
  • Is it possible to put this functionality in to a query that can be saved and used later?
    Tuesday, September 09, 2014 4:23 PM