Question

• Hello!

I have the following error while installing sql server 2012 in Windows 8

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to *******.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I tried to let the program through firewall but could not set the "Exception" as there is nothing like that in windows 8

I equally configured the settings using Sql Server Configuration Manager but could not start the server. SSAS, SSIS and SSRS are greyed out in SSMS except Database engine and Azure which could not connect to.

Please help.

Thanks.

• Moved by Louis DavidsonMVP Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:55 AM Not a design topic (From:Database Design)
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:07 PM

Answers

• I was able to solve this now by un-installing the product and re-installing it. I think what it was  that (maybe) I signed into Windows 8 with my email address and that SQL Server was installed with a named instance. What I did was to re-run it and installed as a default instance. After that everything went so well and there was no error message.

Thanks everyone for your support.

• Marked as answer by saintgr8 Friday, May 11, 2012 8:02 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 8:01 AM

All replies