none
LogMgr::LogWriter: Operating system error 1117(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.) encountered.

Question

• SQL Server
    Version: Microsoft SQL
    Server 2012 (SP1) - 11.0.3000.0 (X64) Oct 19 2012 13:38:57 Copyright (c)
    Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.2 <X64>
    (Build 9200: )
    <o:p></o:p>

Windows
    Version: Windows
    Server 2012 Standard

SQL Server
    Installation: 5 node
    active/active multi instance Failover Cluster

Problem statement:
    We recently migrated to SQL Server 2012 on 5 node failover cluster. Just yesterday
    (April 03 ,2013) we received twice the subjected error. SQL Server instance do
    not allow any access to production database when subjected error occurs. After some
    while start allowing access after performing DBCC checkdb (without errors). In addition
    to above SQL Server error, we are also observing MPIO errors and warnings in
    windows event log since March 08, 2013<o:p></o:p>

windows event log error and Warning

Warning: \Device\MPIODisk9
    is currently in a degraded state. One or more paths have failed, though the
    process is now complete.<o:p></o:p>

Error: Afail-over on \Device\MPIODisk9 occurred.<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:50 AM

Answers

• That's more of hardware related issue. You need to contact hardware vendor. SQL is just a victim here.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:51 AM
  • It was resolved by un-installing the unwanted HBA drivers. The server we used for
    upgrade to SQL Server 2012 were a member of SQL Cluster (2012) with SAN from
    EMC, we just plugged in this node to our newly build cluster with SAN from IBM
    without un-installing the OLD EMC based HBA multipath drivers.<o:p></o:p>

On uninstalling the EMC based HBA multipath drivers the issue got resolved at once.<o:p></o:p>

• Marked as answer by AzimLog Monday, April 15, 2013 10:39 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 10:39 AM

All replies

• That's more of hardware related issue. You need to contact hardware vendor. SQL is just a victim here.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:51 AM
  • It was resolved by un-installing the unwanted HBA drivers. The server we used for
    upgrade to SQL Server 2012 were a member of SQL Cluster (2012) with SAN from
    EMC, we just plugged in this node to our newly build cluster with SAN from IBM
    without un-installing the OLD EMC based HBA multipath drivers.<o:p></o:p>

On uninstalling the EMC based HBA multipath drivers the issue got resolved at once.<o:p></o:p>

• Marked as answer by AzimLog Monday, April 15, 2013 10:39 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 10:39 AM