none
Standalone Install SQL Server Configuration Manager

Question

• Hi,

I need to deploy in an enterprise environment SQL Server 2008 - Configuration Manager and SQL Native Client.

I've done the Native Client part but I can't seem to find a way to achieve the same thing with the Configuration Manger. Is there an executable file or msi like the one for Native Client?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to select feature "Client Tools Connectivity" from SQL Server 2008 Setup to install SQL Server Configuration Manager.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143786.aspx

You can also run SqlRun_Tools.msi from installation media.

- Vishal

SqlAndMe.com

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:39 AM
  • I didn't meant this for a normal setup, I need it to deploy it automatically as I can't run the setup manually on a few hundred machines.

There is no SqlRun_Tools.msi on the installation media but there is a sql_tools.msi but it doesn't appear to install anything...

• Edited by Dan-George Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi Dan-George,

The SQL Server Native Client is the runtime components that include the provider . It is available as a separate download from the Microsoft downloads site.

You can distribute SQL Server Native Client through sqlncli.msi. You might have to install SQL Server Native Client when you deploy an application. One way to install multiple packages in what seems to the user to be a single installation is to use chainer and bootstrapper technology.

For more information, see Authoring a Custom Bootstrapper Package for Visual Studio 2005 and Adding Custom Prerequisites.

The x64 and Itanium versions of sqlncli.msi also install the 32-bit version of SQL Server Native Client. If your application targets a platform other than the one it was developed on, you can download versions of sqlncli.msi for x64, Itanium, and x86 from the Microsoft Download Center.

For how Installing SQL Server Native Client, you can refer to this article.

Regards, Amber zhang
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:49 AM
  • Hi Dan-George,

The SQL Server Native Client is the runtime components that include the provider . It is available as a separate download from the Microsoft downloads site.

You can distribute SQL Server Native Client through sqlncli.msi. You might have to install SQL Server Native Client when you deploy an application. One way to install multiple packages in what seems to the user to be a single installation is to use chainer and bootstrapper technology.

For more information, see Authoring a Custom Bootstrapper Package for Visual Studio 2005 and Adding Custom Prerequisites.

The x64 and Itanium versions of sqlncli.msi also install the 32-bit version of SQL Server Native Client. If your application targets a platform other than the one it was developed on, you can download versions of sqlncli.msi for x64, Itanium, and x86 from the Microsoft Download Center.

For how Installing SQL Server Native Client, you can refer to this article.

Regards, Amber zhang

Hi Amber,

Did you read my whole post? I said that I already have the SQL 2008 Native Client part done.

I am asking for help regarding the SQL 2008 Configuration Manager (SQLServerManager10.msc)

Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Hi Dan-George,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. According to install configuration manager separate. As Vishal mentioned you can run Sqlrun_tools.msi file, which is available in the tools\setup folder of your SQL Server CD/DVD and choose the option 'Client components' and 'Management tools' which will install SSMS and configuration manager.

Additional, there is a workaround which works for me. You can try to uninstall workstation components from SQL Server 2008 and then run the installation file to install all the features again.

If you still cannot find Sqlrun_tools.msi file and configuration manger cannot be installed success by reinstall, I think you need to contact with your supplier.

Regards, Amber zhang
    Friday, January 20, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Hi Dan-George,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. According to install configuration manager separate. As Vishal mentioned you can run Sqlrun_tools.msi file, which is available in the tools\setup folder of your SQL Server CD/DVD and choose the option 'Client components' and 'Management tools' which will install SSMS and configuration manager.

Additional, there is a workaround which works for me. You can try to uninstall workstation components from SQL Server 2008 and then run the installation file to install all the features again.

If you still cannot find Sqlrun_tools.msi file and configuration manger cannot be installed success by reinstall, I think you need to contact with your supplier.

Regards, Amber zhang

I think you guys don't get the point of deployment in an enterprise.

If I said there is no Sqlrun_tolls.msi file in MS SQL Server 2008 media you guys still run on about it. There is one for MS SQL Server 2005 but I don't need that one. Even the MS SQL Server 2008 R2 does not have Sqlrun_tools.msi.

If I am looking for a way to automatically deploy this on hundreds of machines then I certainly can't use the uninstall workstation components from SQL and run the installation file again.

P.S. Please don't Mark As Answer for yourself just to give yourself points. Thanks!

Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Hi,

32-bit : .\x86\Setup\sql_common_core_msi\sql_common_core.msi

64-bit : .\x64\Setup\sql_common_core_msi\sql_common_core.msi

- Vishal

SqlAndMe.com

Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Just curous .. Why do you need the configuration manager (understanding you are not installing engine comp)?

Doesnt cliconfg.exe provide what you are looking for?

Thanks - Vijay Sirohi
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Vishal, I will try those tomorrow and let you know.

Vijay, I don't really know, that is what the dev dept. want, so I must comply.

Friday, January 27, 2012 12:36 AM