none
There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer

Question

• when trying to install SQL 2008 R2 SP1 I get the error “There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer”.
    What I have: SQL 2008 R2 64bit (version 10.50.2500) installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit setup in a two-node failover cluster.
    What I have done: Downloaded SQLServer2008R2SP1-KB2528583-x64-ENU.exe, ran it, the “System Configuration Check Report” shows all checks passed except for the “Engine_ResourceDLLUPdateRestartCheck” which it shows as “Not applicable”, I click next and check “I accept…” then click next.  Both check boxes are grayed out, but are pre-checked.  When I click “next” it gives the error above.
    Possible Unknows: Another coworker is also working on the same project and could have installed something that I am not aware of.
    I have seen numerous articles about this error, but they almost all have to do with the improper version of 32 versus 64 bit.  I have double checked to make sure its Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit and SQL 2008 R2 64bit. 
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by Kris Wagner - MVPMVP Friday, August 12, 2011 1:38 AM change
    • Moved by Kris Wagner - MVPMVP Friday, August 12, 2011 1:39 AM SQL patch posted to SharePoint (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:38 PM

Answers

• So you already have SP1 installed and there is nothing to add when you re-run the service pack 1 installer. See http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26727 which shows the above version.
    AK
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:06 PM

All replies

• Try to check the current version of the server - just to make sure it was not patched. Run this query against master db in management studio:
    SELECT 
      SERVERPROPERTY('productversion') as 'Product Version',
      SERVERPROPERTY('productlevel') as 'Service Pack', 
      SERVERPROPERTY('edition') as 'Edition',
      SERVERPROPERTY('instancename') as 'Instance',
      SERVERPROPERTY('servername') as 'Server Name'

The result will tell if it is RTM or SP1
    AK
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Here is the results:

I cant seem to find a page that says what the latest version is.  Are there any updates past 10.50.2500 ??

Thanks

Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:52 PM
  • So you already have SP1 installed and there is nothing to add when you re-run the service pack 1 installer. See http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26727 which shows the above version.
    AK
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Thanks.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:39 PM
  • I have also the same problem.

when trying to install SQL 2008  SP1 I get the error “[Error Message]
    There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer.”because all feature bydefault selected.no one can select or unselect.

What I have done: Downloaded SQLServer2008R2SP1-KB2528583-x86-ENU.ex

this a problem.please help me.

• Proposed as answer by vtsatuk Friday, June 15, 2012 1:34 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 11:10 PM
  • I have also the same problem.

when trying to install SQL 2008  SP1 I get the error “[Error Message]
    There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer.”because all feature bydefault selected.no one can select or unselect.

What I have done: Downloaded SQLServer2008R2SP1-KB2528583-x86-ENU.ex

this a problem.please help me.

I have similar problem how did you resolve it? though I have the 2008R2 with a different file version of 1600.1

Any information will be helpful

• Proposed as answer by vtsatuk Monday, July 16, 2012 11:02 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 1:40 PM
  • So I ran into this issue before. I verified that I had the right level of service pack installed and I had the right architecture of the patch as well (x64 SQL installed for me). So basically the right version was installed and I had the right patch so it should work.... I finally was able to solve the problem by just updating the keys that SQL uses to determine which version is installed. The update then proceeded without a problem. Maybe sometimes SQL does not update those keys properly when SP1 is installed.... I don't know but it fixed it for me. You can find the keys you need to edit for various versions of SQL on this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321185

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:27 PM