none
Errors trying to install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP4

Question

• "The following updates could not be installed:

Service Pack 4 from Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with A dvanced Services (KB2463332)

Service Pack 4 de Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (KB2463332)".

The error displayed after trying to install SP4 update from the downloaded executable files:

Can't execute the SQL Server  configuration checker due to WMI configuration in equipment My_WS

Error:2147749904 (0x80041010).

The only SP4 component that could be installed correctly, was the SQL Server Management Studio Express  with GDR 5057, to solve a bug (KB2546869). I had downloaded the upgrade file SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi from the SQL Server Managmet Studio Express Service Pack 4.

The SQL Server  Tools and Workstation Components 2005, as well as the SQL Server Database Services 2005 contain GDR 4053 KB970892 (SP3 is currently installed in both components).

I will appreciate if anyone could help me without the need to reinitialize the system for cleanning purposes.

Regards,

Lug

Saturday, April 21, 2012 3:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Can you try the workaround in below thread ?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/Vsexpressinstall/thread/632ca405-1c38-405b-9ed3-01785c9f99d1

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Ahmed,

The installation worked great: No errors occurred and at first checks I made, no working issues appear, though I will apply more tests and configuration. After that, and depending on further results I will quote and mark as answer.

Meanwhile, thank you very much.

Luger   

PS

After using and testing SQL Server 2005 I have some concerns to close this case, keep it open or make another thread.

1) While checking the the list of installed SQL programs in Add/Remove Programs, I realized that Tools & Workstation Components item does not appear on the list anymore. Is this included in the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 program?

2) When I tried to configure SQL Server 2005 to allow remote connections, the help links in the surface Area Configuration and screen misse the help file.

3) Once the SQL remote connections and SQL browser is configured successfully, I tried to establish a connection to the SQL Server & an existing database, from Visio 2010 (Reverse Engineering), I got the following error message:

Error in connection

SQLState '01000'

SQL Server Error: 10060

[Microsoft][ODBC SQLServer Driver][DBNETLIB] either the SQL Server does not exists or the access to it has been denied.

4) Quite similar event happened when I run an application remotely. (It works great locally) . The remote box is an HP Laptop dm 4-2180la PC, running windows 7, and with MS SQL 2005 Compact edition installed on it. Do I need to install the SQL Server Native Client on this PC?

Can you please give me some light on these concerns?

• Edited by Luger Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:19 AM Some issues after testing
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Can you the follow the directions in below post to address the connection issue.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/archive/2005/05/05/415084.aspx

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:43 AM
  • Ahmed;

That's a great article, though those directions are the same I had previously followed. I repeated the steps anyway, but I got the same error messages.

I was recommended from that page that, in order to make a remote connection, to check if the new SQL configuration was working correctly, I should run the SQLCMD command (with some parameters) from the remote equipment.

However, this executable did not appear in the client pc, but it was present in the box that holds de SQL Server 2005, therefore I assume that I need to install the SQL Server 2005 (or 2008) express edition. My question is what is the minimal installation, in addition to the SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition that came with the remote PC ?

My intuition tells me that installing the SQL Server Native Client component could be the least needed to establish a connection, but I want to be sure. What is your opinion about it.

Thanks and regards,

Luger

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:21 AM
  • Can you try 

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Command Line Query Utility

from

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15748

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Command Line Query Utility
          The SQLCMD utility allows users to connect, send Transact-SQL batches, and output rowset information from SQL Server 7.0, SQL Server 2000, and SQL Server 2005 instances. SQLCMD is a replacement for ISQL and OSQL, but can coexist with installations that have ISQL or OSQL installed.

Note: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Command Line Query Utility requires Microsoft SQL Server Native Client, also available on this page.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:59 AM
  • Thank you very much for the linkk you sent me. It was of great help to install the executable SQLCMD (x64), along with its prerequisite, the SQL Server Native Client (x64).

I run my application as well as reverse engineering from Visio 2010 and I got a different error string, as shown below:

I checked again the article's configuration stpes for remote SQL Server 2005 conexions. 

Any possible causes?

Thank you

Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:28 AM
  • Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:58 AM
  • Ahmed,

Thank you for the links you have provided for my help requests. To summarize the solution for others with the same issue, it is achieved by correctly:

1) Enabling remote connection with SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration tool, to accept local and remote connections

2) Configuring the same TCP for protocols of both, SQLSERVER(EXPRESS) and SQL Native Client port, by using SQL Server Configuration Manager. Use the default port (1433), though you use other, but  has to be the same for Server and Client  parts. Don't forget to reinitialize both services (SQLServer and SQL Browser.

3) Add two exceptions to your firewall (which was the root of the problem) sqlservr.exe and sqlbrowser.exe. You don't need to use the netsh command, at least in SQL Server 2005.

I could even made a remote connection with the SQL Compact Edition that came with the LAP, before I installed the SQL Native Client. The only thing I didn't liked at all is that I could not use a Trusted Connection and rather was forced to use the SQL sa user and password.  I guess I have to close this thread and maybe generate other(s).

Thanks again and good look.

LUGER

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Thanks a lot Luger for the summary.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 2:16 AM