none
Can't find SQL Profiler in SQL Server 2008 Standard

Answers

• Hello,

Please, could you tell us whether you have installed a Sql Server Express 2008 "basic" ( only database engine ), with Advanced services ot With Tools ?
    For the 2 last versions, you may install Sql Server Management Studio (SSMS) which must be uninstalled if you want to install a Standard/Dev/Entreprise edition.
    Management Studio has the same name and especially the same name for the program but you cannot upgrade a SSMS ( coming from Express Edition ) to a SSMS Standard/Dev/Entreprise.
    At least, with Sql Server 2005 , it was clear : 2 programs with 2 different names.With 2008, 2 programs with the same name and not upgradable. I have had a bad unlucky experience. 

If your SSMS is coming from an Express Edition, you may not have an entry for Sql Profiler ( reserved for not-free Sql Server editions )

Have a nice day
    Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helped you. Unmark if it provides no help
    • Marked as answer by David Cater Thursday, January 01, 2009 7:38 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:50 PM

All replies

• I would remove he 2005 tools and re-install them.
    Tibor Karaszi
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Any chance you're running Symantec Endpoint protection?
    If it's not upgraded to MR3 we weren't able to load SQL 2008 Prolifer; it just crashed on takeoff :\
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Hello,

Please, could you tell us whether you have installed a Sql Server Express 2008 "basic" ( only database engine ), with Advanced services ot With Tools ?
    For the 2 last versions, you may install Sql Server Management Studio (SSMS) which must be uninstalled if you want to install a Standard/Dev/Entreprise edition.
    Management Studio has the same name and especially the same name for the program but you cannot upgrade a SSMS ( coming from Express Edition ) to a SSMS Standard/Dev/Entreprise.
    At least, with Sql Server 2005 , it was clear : 2 programs with 2 different names.With 2008, 2 programs with the same name and not upgradable. I have had a bad unlucky experience. 

If your SSMS is coming from an Express Edition, you may not have an entry for Sql Profiler ( reserved for not-free Sql Server editions )

Have a nice day
    Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helped you. Unmark if it provides no help
    • Marked as answer by David Cater Thursday, January 01, 2009 7:38 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:50 PM
  • I'm finally trying to deal with this.  I'm working on uninstalling SSMS, but I can't figure out how to do it.  SSMS doesn't have its own entry in Programs and Features in the Control Panel, and going through the SQL Server Installation Center program in the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 start menu folder doesn't seem to provide that option either.

I suppose I'll just start uninstalling different parts of SQL Server 2008.  I tried uninstalling SQL Server 2008 Management Objects, but that didn't help.  I'll try SQL Server 2008 Browser next, I suppose.

Any help you can offer would be useful.  Right now I suspect I'll end up uninstalling everything and reinstalling once I screw up my installation by uninstalling piecemeal.  :-)

David
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 7:05 PM
  • I did not uninstall SQL Server 2008 Browser.  I figured it was more of a service of some sort for discovering SQL Server, and basically confirmed that with a Google search.

The correct starting point is Control Panel.  I clicked on "Microsoft SQL Server 2008" and clicked Uninstall.  That gave me a dialog with three options: Add/Remove/Repair. I chose Remove.  That launched SQL Server Installation Center, but in a mode for removing features.  I chose my SQL Server 2008 Express instance, and in the next screen unchecked Managament Studio - Basic.

After I went through the rest of the process, Management Studio was removed and I could no longer run it. 

Now I'm going back into SQL Server Installation Center and am adding features to MSSQLSERVER2008, my full SQL Server 2008 Standard instance.  In the list of features, the Management Studio - Basic and Management Studio - Complete checkboxes are now enabled.  I'm checking those and continuing with the installation.  Hopefully this will give me what I need.

D.
    • Proposed as answer by bangles Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by bangles Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by bangles Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:29 PM
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Success!  Now I can run SSMS again, and now Profiler is available in the Tools menu.  Thanks for your help!

David
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Hello David Cater,

Thanks very much to share your experience and for your post explaining how you have uninstall your SSMS basic will be very helpful for other visitors of this forum searching for a solution to a similar problem

Your explanations were clear and complete.

Have a nice day ( and i am late, happy new year )
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Excellent! thanx David

H.C.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:28 PM