none
Linked Server Setup Error...Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'

Question

• Hi guys 
      I am trying to setup linked server connection and i am getting error message shown below. 
    Can anyone help me out to identify the root cause please?
    An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
    Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

Thanks.

Ankit Shah SQL Server DBA

Monday, July 30, 2012 6:45 PM

Answers

• This error is closely correlated to a restrictive security configurations within linked server as such as not made or be made with a security context without specifying your own credential in the mapped logins in, thereby you have to add you credential that you are using currently to create the linked server the mapped logins and if inapplicable , you may use either of the 2 options :

• Be made using the current security context
    • Be made using this security context and specify a login exists on the destination server

Kindly work out them and let me know if any further help

Shehap (DB Consultant/DB Architect) Think More deeply of DB Stress Stabilities

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:42 AM

All replies

• This error is closely correlated to a restrictive security configurations within linked server as such as not made or be made with a security context without specifying your own credential in the mapped logins in, thereby you have to add you credential that you are using currently to create the linked server the mapped logins and if inapplicable , you may use either of the 2 options :

• Be made using the current security context
    • Be made using this security context and specify a login exists on the destination server

Kindly work out them and let me know if any further help

Shehap (DB Consultant/DB Architect) Think More deeply of DB Stress Stabilities

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:42 AM
  • the information you provided is too little to give you a better suggestion.

What linked server you were trying to set up? it is also an SQL server or not? if it is SQL Server, then what authentication mode you were using? Widnows or SQL server user?

To me, this is very likely an Kerberos Authentication issue with your Windows Logins.

View Steven Wang's profile on LinkedIn | Blog: MSBICOE.com | MCITP - BI, SQL Developer & DBA

Hate to mislead others, if I'm wrong slap me. Thanks!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:32 AM
  • check the service account which are used to start the SQL Server

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:15 AM
  • Go into AD and look at your sql server computer accounts.

Make sure to check 'trust this computer for delegation to any service(kerberos only) in the Delegation Tab

M.Janzou

Almost forgot:

Also go into server OS component services/distributed transaction coordinator/security tab:

check network DTC access

check 'allow inbound' and 'allow outbound' in the transaction manager communication section.

Even though the MSDTC setup is optional we do it as standard config since we leverage linked servers/rpc/dist queries between all of our production instances.....

Important: afterwards drop and recreate your linked server(s) using the 'be made using the logins current security context' in the security section.

should be good to go.

• Edited by mjanzou2 Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:38 PM update2
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:13 PM