none
Urgent: Problem with the unknown member property of the dimension

Question

• Hi,

I want to specify the unknown member property as "none" , but then i get an error

The 'KeyColumns' #0 has NullProcessing set to 'UnknownMember', but the dimension doesn't have UnknownMember set to 'Visible' or 'Hidden'.  

but the key columns has the nullprocessing property set to "automatic"..

"hidden" or "visible" do not give me any error nor the result i need.

Please if someone can help me solve this problem , it would be a great help.

Ridhi.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:39 AM

Answers

• The table below shows the effect of the options you're choosing - does it match with your expectations of what should happen?

ZeroOrBlank

Converts the null value to zero (for numeric data items) or a blank string (for string data items).

Note:
    This value provides compatibility with previous versions of Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services.

Automatic

Uses the default processing appropriate for the element:

• ZeroOrBlank for OLAP data items.

• UnknownMember for data mining data items.

Monday, September 18, 2006 5:43 PM

All replies

• The table below shows the effect of the options you're choosing - does it match with your expectations of what should happen?

ZeroOrBlank

Converts the null value to zero (for numeric data items) or a blank string (for string data items).

Note:
    This value provides compatibility with previous versions of Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services.

Automatic

Uses the default processing appropriate for the element:

• ZeroOrBlank for OLAP data items.

• UnknownMember for data mining data items.

Monday, September 18, 2006 5:43 PM
  • Hi Ridhi,

Based on the MSDN paper below, I think that you need to set the KeyErrorAction (Default=ConvertToUnknown) to DiscardRecord in your processing options, since you apparently want to discard data with unmatched keys:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql90/html/as2k5dataintegrity.asp

>>

Handling Data Integrity Issues in Analysis Services 2005

T.K. Anand
    Microsoft Corporation

March 2005

Summary: Learn about common data integrity issues, and see how Analysis Services 2005 gives you the tools to handle them.

• KeyErrorAction (Default=ConvertToUnknown)—This is the action that the server should take when a KeyNotFound error occurs. It has two options:
    • ConvertToUnknown—tells the server to interpret the offending key value as the unknown member.
    • DiscardRecord—tells the server to discard the record. This is how Analysis Services 2000 handles KeyNotFound errors.
  • Proposed as answer by Def73 Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:52 AM
Monday, September 18, 2006 6:57 PM
  • i set the KeyErrorAction to DiscardRecord in the cube and all measure groups, but still get the error
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:50 PM
  • i found my failure. the setting is also where you "join" fact and dimension
    • Proposed as answer by jagt70 Monday, May 14, 2012 12:03 PM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Thanks thomas32, that solved it for me too.

To be more specific: It's a setting in "Define Relationship" -> "Advanced" in Tab "Dimension Usage" in a Cube. (SSAS 2008)

Martin

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:34 PM