none
SQL server license

Question

• Hi,

we have one applications (web base reporting app) and windows application running on different cities. this windows applications has SQL express and we have SQl command line to update data to main server for reporting. 

my question is

in server i will buy SQL server standard and in my remote office i will use express and this express and my bat file will update my data to main server so do i need to buy cal as how may office i will have or not required.

Santosh Dharamsale

Monday, May 07, 2012 8:00 AM

Answers

• in server i will buy SQL server standard and in my remote office i will use express and this express and my bat file will update my data to main server so do i need to buy cal as how may office i will have or not required.

it depends on the licensing model selected for your SQL Server xxx Standard Edition.

if it is using a processor/core based licensing model than you don't need separate CAL in the remote office.

if it is using a CAL based licensing model than you need a CAL for the account used to run the batch file in the remote office as that account is accessing the SQL Server Standard. (this CAL for a dedicated account can be shared with all office if they use the same account to upload the data to SQL Standard)

if you're synchronising directly SQL Express edition - really unlikely as Express edition can only subscribe to a replication and not publish - with the Standard Edition I believe you need to buy CAL for each user account configured in SQL Express edition.

see this thread which discuss the same question: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/thread/36d9faa1-b75e-4d0d-9c0c-fe76d1d8a7f5/ (SQL Express CAL requirement when replicating to SQL Standard)

But I recommend to contact your Microsoft contact partner for licensing issues.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Monday, May 07, 2012 11:13 AM