none
SQL Server 2012 setup stops going to next window after Server Configuration Tab

Question

• SQL Server 2012 setup stops going to next window with a Please Wait being seen for hours together. 

I don't see anything being logged in the event viewer.

Can someone help me on this please.

Adarsh

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please run the cluster validation wizard and let us know if it cluster pass all tests.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732035(v=WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:55 AM
  • If Alberto's suggestion doesn't work please share/upload SQL Server setup logs, see below "FAQ" on how to locate/upload SQL Server setup logs.

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:28 AM
  • I also have the problem now... it hangs for Hours (SQL Server 2012 SP1). If I stop the install (with no stop / cancel button), I will just scared to mess-up my PRODUCTION server, and spend additional hours to uninstall everything, then re-install.

Just for info, I choose (according to TFS 2012 install guide - but it was dealing with SQL 2008 R2) "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" for ALL (except SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher) since it is read only and set to "NT Service\MSSQLFDLauncer".

I guess I should have left the standard vanilla (as opposed to the TFS doc)!

If anyone has a solution, thanks.

Vincent

Vincent THAVONEKHAM www.thavo.com

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:38 AM
  • I had the same issue, do not modify accounts just let it go with defaults and change it later on..

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:49 AM
  • From the Log, I seam to have a problem with the user account that was set.

"(11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: Attempting to determine if the account 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' is Managed Service Account

(11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: Unable to return managed service account info about user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE, Win32 Error code 1315
    (11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 SQLEngine: --InputValidator: Engine : Attempting to get account sid for account NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    (11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get account sid for user account NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    (11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get sid for user account NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    (11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: GetSidForAccount normalized accountName NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE parameter to NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    (11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get account from sid S-1-5-20
    (11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: Attempting to initialize user group NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    (11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get account sid for user account NT AUTHORITY
    (11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get sid for user account NT AUTHORITY
    (11) 2012-12-12 11:07:00 Slp: Sco: GetSidForAccount normalized accountName NT AUTHORITY parameter to NT AUTHORITY"

I have killed the process, then re-start the install with the standard vanilla, hoping that TFS 2012 will behave OK.

Vincent THAVONEKHAM www.thavo.com

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Are you running on English or localized OS ?

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Got the same problem, on SQL2012 Sp1. I have created a configuration file with a domain account as serviceaccounts.  

I´m using Win2012 English and SQL media: SQL_Svr_Enterprise_Core_2012_w_SP1_English_Download_Only_64bit_-2_X18-78092

Using instance id 'MSSQL11.APROD5' for product SQL Server Database Services
    Using instance id 'MSRS11.APROD5' for product Reporting Services
    SetDefaultServiceSettingsForAll invoked
    SQL Agent service is set to service SID as default
    check for instance name, got: 'APROD5'
    Sco: Attempting to determine if the password is required for account 'domain\se-svc-sest-xxxxxxx'
    Sco: Attempting to determine if the account 'domain\se-svc-sest-xxxxxxx' is Virtual Account
    Sco: Attempting to get account sid for user account domain\se-svc-sest-xxxxxxx
    Sco: Attempting to get sid for user account domain\se-svc-sest-xxxxxxx
    Sco: GetSidForAccount normalized accountName domain\se-svc-sest-xxxxxxx parameter to domain\se-svc-sest-xxxxxxx
    Sco: Attempting to determine if the account 'domain\se-svc-sest-xxxxxxx' is Managed Service Account
    Sco: Unable to return managed service account info about user domain\se-svc-sest-xxxxxxx, Win32 Error code 206
    Error: Action "Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.FinalCalculateSettingsAction" threw an exception during
    execution.
    Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionExecutionException: Illegal characters in path. ---> System.ArgumentExc
    eption: Illegal characters in path.
       at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.SqlEngineSetupPublic.RecomputeDirectoryPaths()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.SqlEngineSetupPublic.Calculate()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.InputSettingService.CalculateSettings(IEnumerable`1 settingIds)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.InputSettingService.CalculateAllSettings(Boolean chainerSettingOnly)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.FinalCalculateSettingsAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(TextWriter statusStream, ISequence
    dAction actionToRun, ServiceContainer context)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Magnus

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:44 PM
  • There is a hotfix for this. maybe it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2913102

Monday, February 03, 2014 12:53 PM