none
rule 'Setup account privileges' failed. the account that is running sql server setup does not have one or both of the following rights: the right to backup files and directories, and the right to manage auditing and the security log.

Question

• Hi 

I am very new to preparing installation kit. i wanted to install SQL Express 2008 with full text search option via installation kit.  i have administrator rights in my system and as well in in administrators group.  for past couple days i have been looking several web sites. i don't have any luck and i am getting this error message "rule 'Setup account privileges' failed.the account that is running sql server setup does not have one or both of the following rights: the right to backup files and directories, and the right to manage auditing and the security log. to continue, use an account with both of these rights."

FYI i m using my command line options as

/action=install /Features=SQL,FullText /INSTANCENAME=MyInstance  /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS=true /SQLSVCAccount=""NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"" /SQLSYSAdminAccounts=""NT AUTHORITY\Network Service"" /SQLSVCStartUpType=""automatic"" /AGTSVCAccount=""NT AUTHORITY\Network Service"" /AGTSVCStartUpType=""automatic"" /SQLCollation= ""SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI"" /SecurityMode=SQL /SAPWD=""vinoth"" /SQLUSERDBDIR=""c:\sqldata"" /SQLUSERDBLOGDIR=""c:\sqlLogs"" SQLBackupDir= ""c:\backups""  /SQLTempdbDir=""c:\sqldata"" /SQLTempdbLogDir=""c:\sqldata""  /FileStreamLevel=1 /ErrorReporting=0 /SQMReporting=0 

Help me fix this problem.

Advance thanks 

Friday, August 09, 2013 7:17 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Ok. Let’s try to confirm that the account you are using to install SQL Server has all the privileges required. Please open the Command Prompt with the “Run as Administrator” option, and run the following command:

C:\> whoami /priv

You have to see listed the following user rights:

SeBackupPrivilege
    SeDebugPrivilege
    SeSecurityPrivilege

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, August 09, 2013 11:46 AM

All replies

• Account used for installation should be a part of administrative group and can be checked:
    Computer management (compmgmt.msc) --> Local Users and Groups --> Administrator

Secondly, account should have permissions on below Local policies, if not assign them
    Backup files and directories (SeBackupPrivilege)
    Debug Programs (SeDebugPrivilege)
    Manage auditing and security log (SeSecurityPrivilege)

Local policies can be accessed from below path
    Control Panel--> Administrative Tools --> Local Security -->Settings --> Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment

Can, also refer below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000257

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Friday, August 09, 2013 7:31 AM
  • Account used for installation should be a part of administrative group and can be checked:
    Computer management (compmgmt.msc) --> Local Users and Groups --> Administrator

Secondly, account should have permissions on below Local policies, if not assign them
    Manage auditing and security log (SeSecurityPrivilege)

Local policies can be accessed from below path
    Control Panel--> Administrative Tools --> Local Security -->Settings --> Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment

Can also refer below link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000257

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Friday, August 09, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Hi Neha Mahajan,

Thank you. Already I am member in Administrators group and also now i added my login (windows login) user name into that following rights assignment

Manage auditing and security log (SeSecurityPrivilege) policies also.

even when i run my installer.msi file i using Run as Administrator option. but still i have no luck.

One more thing.. already i am having SQL Server 2008 r2 and SQL Express SP3 in this system. i am trying to add instance through my installer
    Friday, August 09, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Hello,

Ok. Let’s try to confirm that the account you are using to install SQL Server has all the privileges required. Please open the Command Prompt with the “Run as Administrator” option, and run the following command:

C:\> whoami /priv

You have to see listed the following user rights:

SeBackupPrivilege
    SeDebugPrivilege
    SeSecurityPrivilege

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, August 09, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Hi Alberto Morillo,

Excellent, thank you. all 3 privilege are disabled for me.  

Privilege Name                  Description                               State   
    =============================== ========================================= 

SeSecurityPrivilege             Manage auditing and security log          Disabled

SeBackupPrivilege               Back up files and directories             Disabled

SeDebugPrivilege                Debug programs                            Disabled

Friday, August 09, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Hello,

I am glad, you know that is the real cause of the problem. If the computer is part of an active directory domain, this is probable the effect of a group policy established by Domain Admins:

Read the resolution section on the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000257/en-us

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, August 09, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Hi Alerto Morillo,

Thank you very much, Actually my system is not using Domain Controller, i am using WorkGroup.

As resolution section in that article i have add my current login (user name as Computer Name\User name)  into privilege section.  

I Have added my login (User Name) in Following Areas User Rights Assignments,

1. back up files and directories 

2. debug programs

3. Generate Security Audits 

And i am afraid. how do i supposed to enable these thing in my client environment through my installer. because they are not much technical persons.  Could you tell me some solutions to enable this privileges.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:28 AM
  • Hello,

Please try the following tool:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/secguide/archive/2011/07/05/scm-v2-beta-localgpo-rocks.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, August 11, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Hi Alberto Morilo,
          Thank you Very much, I installed SCM localGPO tool in my system. but i don't know how to use them for my context and more over, i am afraid of configuring my client environment through installer. i don't know, how close this tool would support me for my need. 

is there any Programmatical/command line options available? to enable these privileges. so that we can configure client environment by our code.

I am running out of time,so Temporarily i am going suggest my client to install SQL Express manually. 

Hope for best.  

Regards,
    Vinoth Kumar
    Monday, August 12, 2013 4:01 PM