none
what is Sql server developer ? (2012)

Question

• Hi ,

i want to know what is sql server developer

im begineer in asp.net and wpf  development and develop web applications and desktop app.

in which case i should not use this edition being a DEVELOPER ? AND also it will allow me to use remote servers etc for to connect to remote server in my domain?

and will it support sql server compact so that i can use it in wpf.

• Edited by Shan Khan Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:05 PM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

im begineer in asp.net and wpf  development and develop web applications and desktop app.

in which case i should not use this edition being a DEVELOPER ? AND also it will allow me to use remote servers etc for to connect to remote server in my domain?

I think you mean SQL Server Development Edition ?

SQL Server Development Edition is effectively a SQL Server Enterprise Edition with the licensing restriction that it can only be used for development, demo and testing purpose and not for production use. In addition SQL Server Development Edition does use a different CAL than the other SQL Server edition and therefore you need a separate CAL to access SQL Server Development Edition. All MSDN subscription contains a SQL Server Development Edition licence and this software can be bought too if you don't have any Microsoft license agreement including it and it cost in the range $50-$100.

Beside not using in production environment you are not allowed to transfer any database from a SQL Server Development Edition to any production environment.

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetMVP Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by KJian_ Monday, April 09, 2012 2:18 AM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:41 PM
  • In addition to Daniel's information, SQL Compact is a seperate code line from any of the other versions of SQL Server, it has a different architecture. Developer Edition supports the functionality of the other editions of SQL Server (Standard, Express, Enterprise, etc.), but not SQL Compact. In fact, support for SQL Compact has been removed from the SQL Server 2012 utilities, such as the Transact-SQL editor in SQL Server Management Studio.

Alan Brewer [MSFT] SQL Server Documentation Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Kalman TothModerator Sunday, April 01, 2012 5:46 AM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:05 PM

All replies

• Are you asking about SQL Server Developer edition?

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Hi ,

I think you mean SQL Server Development Edition ?

SQL Server Development Edition is effectively a SQL Server Enterprise Edition with the licensing restriction that it can only be used for development, demo and testing purpose and not for production use. In addition SQL Server Development Edition does use a different CAL than the other SQL Server edition and therefore you need a separate CAL to access SQL Server Development Edition. All MSDN subscription contains a SQL Server Development Edition licence and this software can be bought too if you don't have any Microsoft license agreement including it and it cost in the range $50-$100.

Beside not using in production environment you are not allowed to transfer any database from a SQL Server Development Edition to any production environment.

• Proposed as answer by Horizon_NetMVP Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:32 PM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:41 PM
  • In addition to Daniel's information, SQL Compact is a seperate code line from any of the other versions of SQL Server, it has a different architecture. Developer Edition supports the functionality of the other editions of SQL Server (Standard, Express, Enterprise, etc.), but not SQL Compact. In fact, support for SQL Compact has been removed from the SQL Server 2012 utilities, such as the Transact-SQL editor in SQL Server Management Studio.

Alan Brewer [MSFT] SQL Server Documentation Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Kalman TothModerator Sunday, April 01, 2012 5:46 AM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:05 PM
  • This link to the US DOL has a ton of info and resources

Database Administrator

John

http://knowledgy.org

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:36 PM