none
Installation error 29506 on SQL Management Studio...

Question

• hai......

I've several ways in tried to install SQL management studio including running of cmd prompt as admin.But the installer shows that "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.This may indicate a problem with this package.The error code is 29506" ...........

Please help me.....

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• I've done some research on the error code, and most solutions talk about what you already tried (installing via CMD as admin), but check out the following, maybe it will help:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sqlexpress/thread/3a8b79a2-9258-464f-bdb8-70e77d5f0f1a 

Check out the reply from Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:53 PM:

"You need to do a little bit of every thing.

first, yes, download the ssmsee from microsoft, make sure of the size 39.418 mb, theres a version of 40 .146 mb .

second. go to the mssql file and reset the file permision and put mssql, mssqlx and data to full control on ALL users. 

third; Do not run the installer from your own drive, if you run it (i dont know yet why) from your local drive it wont work, run the installer froma usb or cd.

finally it work, it run and you can work whith sql express or nor mal sql on a vista machine."

Dimitri C. - Please mark the replies as answers if they help! Thanks.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 7:01 AM
  • Hi Adsamarnalkar,

This error message relates with permission issue (UAC) on Windows Vista and Windows 7. To solve this problem, you have to re-run the installer again using elevated command prompt by run the command prompt as administrator and execute the installer in there.

The other solution, you could change the UAC settings to be minimal (search for UAC in the start bar and select Control Panel –> Change User Account Control Settings) and set to minimal settings. Or you can disable UAC to solve the issue. Then you could install SQL Server Management Studio.

For more information, you could refer to http://www.linglom.com/2011/12/03/solved-error-29506-when-installing-microsoft-sql-server-manament-studio-express-on-windows-vista-or-windows-seven/.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:09 AM
  • thanks........i'll try

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:16 PM
  • allright here is the answer

Burn the  program on CD.

Now lauch   Command prompt as Administrator.     ( Right click on command prompt to Run as Admin )

Then  in black screen ( for those computer challanged lol )     ,  Change directory  to Your  CD    drive   ( mine is  D: )    .      (   I am old school and know some Dos commands.  )

Now   from   D:  in command prompt in that black screen  type the name of file   with extension

D:\SQL blah blah.  MSI

This will lauch installer.

WORKS    !!

(  you are welcome  )

Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:37 PM
  • UAC to the minimal settings does not help. Disable it or run command prompt as admin and then navigate in it to the .msi and start it.
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:49 PM
  • Alternative to CD you may use a flash drive.
    Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:26 AM