none
SQL Server 2008 R2 - SP1 Update

Question

• I have Windows Automatic Update turned on (Win 7 x64) and SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise installed and kept getting a Windows Update advice for an optional update for SQL Server 2008 SP1.  Yet when I selected it for download and install the download would run successfully and then the install would fail (with Error 84B20001).  Next, I went to the Microsoft Download site and manually downloaded SP1 and installed it.  The install reported success (I don't know how to confirm the success though).  I still got the Windows Update advice to download and install an optional SP1 from the windows update service.  So, after checking MS KB articles, I renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder and replaced it with a new clean directory.  Yet, still Windows update reports that I need the SP1 Update.  Again when I select it for download and install the download completes successfully, but the install fails with the all too familiar Error WindowsUpdate_84B20001 (NB: Latest iteration reports error 84BC7358).  Based on my site searches, it seems that this is a fairly common problem, yet none of the solutions proffered work for me (and apparently others).  I can't discern if this is a SQL Server problem or a Windows 7 (x64) problem.  Does Microsoft have an "official" fix for this problem, I've read all the forum questions/answers, and searched through all th KB Articles I could find.  I find the suggestion to simply uninstall and reinstall unappealing since this process takes a graet deal of time and I just went through it a few days ago (for other reasons).  All my trials and errors are getting frustrating.  Thanks for any ideas, suggestions, etc. that you care to provide, they are gratefully welcomed.................Phil Hoop

Phil Hoop

Friday, March 23, 2012 7:01 PM

Answers