none
Enterprise manager bails: error is SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed

Question

•  

I am trying to look at the databases in Enterprise Manager (win2k3, SQL Server 2000).  I am getting the following error: SQL Server Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed.  When I look at the SQLAGENT.out log file, i get this information:

2008-05-08 10:13:42 - ? [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases...
    2008-05-08 10:16:07 - ! [165] ODBC Error: 0, Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed [SQLSTATE IM004]
    2008-05-08 10:16:07 - ! [000] Unable to connect to server '(local)'; SQLServerAgent cannot start
    2008-05-08 10:16:07 - ? [098] SQLServerAgent terminated (normally)

In the event viewer, I have an error about every 6 seconds relating to an ODBC error:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SQL Server ODBC driver support error
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date:  5/8/2008
    Time:  3:18:23 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: XXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SQL Server ODBC driver support error ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to load SQL Server ODBC driver resource DLL.  The application cannot continue.

Any thoughts on this one?
    Thursday, May 08, 2008 7:19 PM

All replies

• From the message of event viewer, there is a line of "Unable to load SQL Server ODBC driver resource DLL". Therefore, please make sure the following files exist: C:\windows\system32\sqlsrv32.dll and C:\windows\system32\sqlsrv32.rll. You may also use Component Checker (can be downloaded from MSDN) to verify that they are from the same version of OS. (If there is no hotfix applied before, their version number should also be the same)

============================================

btw, a simpler test is to use ODBC Data Source Administrator. You may test whether you can create a DSN and *connect to it* via the tools. If there is resource file problem, you cannot make connection with the tools either. Also, you may get a clearer error message from the tools, than the Enterprise Manager.

Ming.

(MDAC Team)

Saturday, May 10, 2008 3:11 PM