none
Security Update for SQL Server 2008 R2 (KB2494088) fails on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Question

• After attempting to install this update via wuapp, I get a failure with Code 84B20001.

A manual download and attempted installation of the update fails with messages that installation is blocked until certain errors in the prior installation are fixed.

An attempted repair of the common components complains about bad installation media. (I re-downloaded the installation DVD [Enterprise Edition from both Technet and MSDN] and burned to media after experiencing the error message with SlySoft's Virtual Clone Drive.)

The installation problem has happened only on Win 7; I do not experiance errors on production on development servers (Win Server 2008 R2 Ent. Ed.).

This has happened on two systems.

The SQL logs contain messages to this effect:

2011-06-14 13:15:10 Slp: A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair during configuration for features [CommonFiles,]. In order to apply this patch package (KB2494088), you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.ChainerInvalidOperationException:

I'd be happy to supply any level of detail needed.

Mike

M A Reeds MD PhD
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:44 AM

Answers

• You need look for more information from %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\log folder to get further details. Also check value for
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<InstanceID>\ConfigurationState registry key.

• Satya SKJ, SQL Server MVP [Knowledge Sharing Network - www.sqlserver-qa.net]
    Author of SQL Server 2008 R2 Administration cookbook.
    Follow me @sqlmaster.
  • Proposed as answer by AlunJ Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Marked as answer by mareedsnet Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:16 PM
Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:37 AM
  • I'm not sure whether you have checked the link below. You need to end any pending installation operations. Go to Add or remove programs and then from there complete the installation

http://qa.social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/7ad149bd-bd6d-4a9b-b6b1-a3c8a4deeea1

Vidhya Sagar. Mark as Answer if it helps!
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:52 AM
  • All replies

• I'm not sure whether you have checked the link below. You need to end any pending installation operations. Go to Add or remove programs and then from there complete the installation

http://qa.social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/7ad149bd-bd6d-4a9b-b6b1-a3c8a4deeea1

Vidhya Sagar. Mark as Answer if it helps!
      Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:52 AM
    • Sometimes it will work if you reboot the machine too.
      Satya SKJ, SQL Server MVP [Knowledge Sharing Network - www.sqlserver-qa.net]Author of SQL Server 2008 R2 Administration cookbook.
      Follow me @sqlmaster.
      Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:17 AM
    • I have what look line the same issue.

I have done a reboot

I have done the regedit fix on common tools

neither have worked.

Alun Davies
      Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:20 AM
    • You need look for more information from %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\log folder to get further details. Also check value for
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<InstanceID>\ConfigurationState registry key.

• Satya SKJ, SQL Server MVP [Knowledge Sharing Network - www.sqlserver-qa.net]
      Author of SQL Server 2008 R2 Administration cookbook.
      Follow me @sqlmaster.
    • Proposed as answer by AlunJ Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:37 AM
  • I have just tried the instance and the "MPT_AGENT_CORE_CNI" was at 3 I have changed that to 1 and ...... it takes much longer to process. and then... then it works Many thanks all who helped.
    Alun Davies
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Satya,

Can you edit your post

for some reason it looks corupted when I view it.

Alun Davies
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:28 PM
  • The ConfigurationState hack worked for me too. For me the error was on the analysis services instance, so check all your instances in the registry.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:56 PM
  • This solved it. Many thanks for the quick solution.
    M A Reeds MD PhD
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Same here. My Analysis_Server_Full was set to 3. Changed it to 1 and the installation update completed without hassle.

Many thanks indeed.

• Proposed as answer by Lord Burnley Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:03 PM
  • Sayta's Registry hack works for me, too. I changed whichever the key is not 1 to 1 in "ConfigurationState", ran SQL installation (Repair), reboot and then re-ran the KB. Thanks so much, Sayta!
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:15 PM
  • This should never be a problem, come on Microsoft.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 5:50 PM
  • My Analysis_Server_Full was set to 2 (on WinXP) . Changed it to 1 and the installation update completed without hassle.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Thanks, was successful. I change "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Microsoft SQL Server > MSSQL10_50.EXPRESS > ConfigurationState" keys: MPT_AGENT_CORE_CNI value (2) --> to (1) SQL_Engine_Core_Inst value (2) --> to (1) SQL_Replication_Core_Inst value (2) --> to (1) and then Security Update for SQL server 2008 R2 (KB2494088) installed ok....
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:34 PM
  • The solution described by Satya worked for me as well. Thanks Satya
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Thanks Satya. Your hack worked for me too.
    Friday, March 02, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Thanks, Satya.

The same error came on 2012 RTM, and your hack worked effectively there too.

Monday, October 15, 2012 12:12 AM