none
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Question

• I installed a trial version of SQL server 2008 R2 over windows server 2008 R2 with a default instance and a named instance. I created a udl file to test. I can connect successfully to the default instance locally and remotely but the named instance is giving me trouble connecting from remote machine. The local test is OK. The windows firewall is turned off and remote connections is turned on. The permissions for both the default and named instances are identical. I added a local admin and domain admin to the permissions and everything looks the same.

Where else should I look?

Friday, December 24, 2010 3:08 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Please start SQL Server Browser service using SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Connect to the named instance using servername\instancename.

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFTModerator Friday, December 24, 2010 7:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aazzin Monday, December 27, 2010 2:44 AM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please start SQL Server Browser service using SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Connect to the named instance using servername\instancename.

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Tom Li - MSFTModerator Friday, December 24, 2010 7:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aazzin Monday, December 27, 2010 2:44 AM
    Friday, December 24, 2010 3:21 AM
  • In addition to the SQL Server Browser Service check the following:

1.       Start the Browser service

2.       Identify the protocols being configured and enabled for this named instance.

For TCP\IP protocol, identify the port for which the SQL Server named instance is configured. Try to Telnet on that port and see if the port is open.

3.       Try to force the protocol and see if you are able to connect to the named instance. This is what you can do:

To verify TCP\IP protocol:

Use the server name as tcp:servername\instancename, portnumber

Then try to test connectivity using UDL file

To verify NamedPipe protocol:

Use the server name as np:servername\instancename

Then try to test connectivity using UDL file

4.       If both the above connectivity works fine, then open the Client Network Utility from the remote machine:

Start>Run>cliconfg

If there are any aliases created\configured for this server, remove them, and then check the connectivity.

Refer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa197485(SQL.80).aspx

You can also refer the general connectivity troubleshooting here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldataaccess/thread/e03993c0-a5f5-40c1-8124-c99b7866b933

Hope this helps!!

Chaitanya
    Friday, December 24, 2010 4:41 AM
  • That did the trick. I am preparing for 70-432 and one of the labs is to create and connect to 2 named instances which I could do locally but could'nt connect to the named instance from a remote machine. Turning on the SQL Server browser service fixed it. Thank you very much.

Monday, December 27, 2010 2:45 AM
  • I wish you success with 70-432.

Regards,

Alberto

Monday, December 27, 2010 5:29 AM