none
Missing Reporting Services with SQL Server 2008 Express

Question

• I installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express and I can't find any reporting services. It looks like I should have installed "with advanced features"

Is there any way that I can just add the reporting services or do I need to uninstall SQL 2k8 Express and install SQL 2k8 Express w/advanced features?

If I do need to reinstall, what is the preferred method?

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Anton,

Since you have installed SQL Server 2008 Express Edition and do not want to uninstall the existing instance of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition, if we want to use SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), we have several options:

·         Install a new instance of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition with Advanced Services
    this will install another instance of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on your machine and the SSRS will have a different instance name from the existing instance

·         Add SSRS to the existing instance of SQL Server

If you want to add SSRS to the existing instance, please follow the steps below:

1.       Download SQL Server 2008 Express Edition with Advanced Services
    we could download it from the following link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b5d1b8c3-fda5-4508-b0d0-1311d670e336

2.       Run the installation downloaded above

3.       In the “SQL Server Installation Center” window, please click Installation in the left pane and then click “New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation”

4.       In the “Installation Type” page, check “Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server 2008 and choose an instance to which you want to add feature from the dropdown list

5.       In the “Feature Selection” page, check “SQL Server Reporting Services” and click “Next”

6.       Complete the installation

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Just run the setup of SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Features and add Reporting Services.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:03 PM
  • i tried that and it says there is a problem.. search for solutions... found http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=c56e753d-13ef-4b95-a5eb-0b470bf56341

Downloaded the 64bit for my 2008 64bit R2... tried to run/install and tells me I can't because there is another setup instance running.... 

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:55 PM
  • tried sp1.... same deal
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Hello,

That link is related to a CTP version of SQL Server.

If you have installed SQL Server 2008 Express then you may use the following link to install Reporting Services:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b5d1b8c3-fda5-4508-b0d0-1311d670e336

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:05 PM
  • I did that .....when I run it it tells me its not compatible and I need the SP2 CTP.... if i ignore this and try to install the advanced features:

---------------------------

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup

SQL Server 2008 Setup is already running and cannot be launched more than once at a time.

Complete your current setup action and then rerun Setup.

OK   

������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Hi Anton,

Since you have installed SQL Server 2008 Express Edition and do not want to uninstall the existing instance of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition, if we want to use SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), we have several options:

·         Install a new instance of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition with Advanced Services
    this will install another instance of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition on your machine and the SSRS will have a different instance name from the existing instance

·         Add SSRS to the existing instance of SQL Server

If you want to add SSRS to the existing instance, please follow the steps below:

1.       Download SQL Server 2008 Express Edition with Advanced Services
    we could download it from the following link:

2.       Run the installation downloaded above

3.       In the “SQL Server Installation Center” window, please click Installation in the left pane and then click “New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation”

4.       In the “Installation Type” page, check “Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server 2008 and choose an instance to which you want to add feature from the dropdown list

5.       In the “Feature Selection” page, check “SQL Server Reporting Services” and click “Next”

6.       Complete the installation

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:37 AM
  • I have tried this and reporting services did not come up as an option?  Any help appreciated.

I am using 2008 R2 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25174

cheers

Anthony

• Edited by Tanman321 Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:44 AM
  • I have the same problem as Tanmam321.  Did you find any solution?

If I try to install new instance using the SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe, the option is not there either.
    • Edited by blazinsnow Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 3:58 PM
  • Can you try command line installation

using below link

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ai/archive/2012/05/01/installing-sql-aerver-2012-in-unattended-mode-using-command-line.aspx

and set features as below

FEATURES=RS

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:06 PM
  • I uninstalled 2008 R2 Express and then installed the 2008 R2 Express advanced, backing up my databases before and then restoring after the install.

I now have reporting services.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:13 PM
  • SO can you please mark my post as answer ?

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:35 PM