none
How to make subreports always display?

Question

• I designed an RDL file which contains several subreports within a Tablix.  What I want this report to do is always display the subreports, regardless if the main report has any data.  These subreports are not subsets of the output data from the main report, but rather they use the same input parameters as the main report.  That is why there are cases where the subreports contain data and main reports do not.  How do I do this in SSRS 2008?

I tried implementing this and I get an out of memory exception error.  What I did was I placed the subreports outside of the tablix and encapsulated both the tablix and subreports into a List.  Next I fed the same input parameters to these subreports as before and I created this dataset for the List control:

ALTER Procedure [dbo].[rpt_rd_Lookup_Clients2_FC]
    (
    	@IncludeAllOption bit = 0,
    	@FundingSource varchar(MAX) = null
    )
    As

SET NOCOUNT ON

If @IncludeAllOption = 1
    BEGIN
    	Select
    		Null As [people_id],
    		'-All-' As [insured_name]
    	UNION ALL
    	SELECT DISTINCT
    		bac.[people_id],
    		bac.[insured_name]
        FROM benefits_assignments_clients_view bac    
        left join enrollment_info_expanded_view eiev on eiev.people_id = bac.people_id
    	WHERE payer_name like 'GA-%' and program_code = 'INT'
    	AND (@FundingSource Is Null OR (@FundingSource like bac.payer_name + '%' and @FundingSource like '%' + plan_name))
    	Order By [insured_name]
    END
    Else
    BEGIN
    	SELECT DISTINCT
    		bac.[people_id],
    		bac.[insured_name]
        FROM benefits_assignments_clients_view bac    
        left join enrollment_info_expanded_view eiev on eiev.people_id = bac.people_id
    	WHERE payer_name like 'GA-%' and program_code = 'INT'
    	AND (@FundingSource Is Null OR (@FundingSource like bac.payer_name + '%' and @FundingSource like '%' + plan_name))
    	Order By [insured_name]
    END

And I already tried creating a multiple-value parameter for this report, and then define the filter like this:

Expression: Parameters!ClientID.Value
    Operator: In
    Value:[people_ID]

But this gave me the error:

Ryan D

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hi ironryan77,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, you would like to filter your dataset with muti-value report parameter. If so, you can sepecify your expression to [people_ID], Operator to In, Value to expression =Parameters!ClientID.Value. Moreover, please keep the data type of the report parameter the same with field [people_ID]. If I have not correctly understand your problem, please not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill Lu

Bill Lu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 19, 2012 8:30 AM
  • Bill, please see my other post regarding this issue:

other posting

Ryan D

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hi ironryan77,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, you would like to filter your dataset with muti-value report parameter. If so, you can sepecify your expression to [people_ID], Operator to In, Value to expression =Parameters!ClientID.Value. Moreover, please keep the data type of the report parameter the same with field [people_ID]. If I have not correctly understand your problem, please not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill Lu

Bill Lu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 19, 2012 8:30 AM
  • Bill, please see my other post regarding this issue:

other posting

Ryan D

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:25 PM