none
Problem to create "New Database Diagram" in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio for SQL Server 2012 SQL Express

Question

• Hi,

I have installed SQL Server 2012 Express edition (name of installation media: en_sql_server_2012_express_edition_with_advanced_services_x64.exe) from MSDN and I have installed the application on my pc with Windows 7 Exterprise.

Everything is working fine except when I am trying to create "New Database Diagram", where I recieve following error message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. (Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop)

BUTTONS:

OK

I have tried two times to reinstall SQL Server 2012 Express and I have installed Cumulative Update #3 for SQL Server 2012 and restarted the machine, but I have still the same problem with the same error message.

Installed the following fixes:

1) 2012_RTM_DAC_CU3_2723749_11_0_2332_x64
    2) SQLServer2012_RTM_CU3_2723749_11_0_2332_x64

These files was installed successful.

How can I solve the problem?

BR

Jan Nilsson

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Jan,

Have you installed Visual Studio in your machine?

The problem seems to be related to installing and uninstalling the VS 2011 RC0 program.

The workaround involves copying the files from another PC with SQL 2008 or 2012 from one machine to another. Just replace this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8

See also the following for further details:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/vstsdb/thread/d65c71f5-3887-4f2a-bbd3-e799a4ac6fdc

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Jan,

uninstalling and reinstalling SQL or VS will not remove this newer DLL in order to allow the older version to be installed, and hence leave this annoying issue. So I think copy the file is a best way due to this issue. You can set up a virtual machine to install VS 2010.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Jan,

Have you installed Visual Studio in your machine?

The problem seems to be related to installing and uninstalling the VS 2011 RC0 program.

The workaround involves copying the files from another PC with SQL 2008 or 2012 from one machine to another. Just replace this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8

See also the following for further details:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/vstsdb/thread/d65c71f5-3887-4f2a-bbd3-e799a4ac6fdc

Best Regards,
    Iric

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

I have one problem, I do not have another PC to copy the files from. Is there some other way to solve the probölem?

BR

Jan Nilsson

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Jan,

uninstalling and reinstalling SQL or VS will not remove this newer DLL in order to allow the older version to be installed, and hence leave this annoying issue. So I think copy the file is a best way due to this issue. You can set up a virtual machine to install VS 2010.

Best Regards,
    Iric

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:26 AM
  • Hi Iric,

thanks for the tip, it worked...

Best regards

Jan Nilsson

• Edited by NilssonJ2 Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:31 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi Iric,

thanks for the tip, it worked.

Best Regards

Jan

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Thanks it's worked

Eduardo Ustarez

Monday, August 26, 2013 2:28 AM
  • I am not sure if it is related to Visual Studio 2010. I had five of my students install SQL Server 2012 and all most every other feature they tried was working except for creating Database Diagram. The error was the same exact that Nilsson reported. All installs were on clean machines with no prior history of Visual Studio but all of them had the same problem. In one of the machines I tried to troubleshoot and found that after repeated refreshing of the Database Diagram node I was able to get the response window for the next step to show up. I have not tried with the other 4. If I find time I will try to install VS2013 and see if it fixes the error.

mysorian

Sunday, December 08, 2013 1:19 AM