none
Import or Convert a mdf file to sdf

Question

•  

Hello

How can i convert an access or mdf file to sdf?

Or is it possible to import tables and records from access or mdf files to compact sdf files?

Thank you

Monday, September 08, 2008 5:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• From MDF, you could use RDA. Or you could use this: http://www.primeworks-mobile.com/Products/DataPortConsole.html for both Access and mdf (SQL Server)
    Monday, September 08, 2008 5:44 PM
  • So only with 3rd party programs?

Monday, September 08, 2008 6:14 PM
  • RDA is from Microsoft... I am working on a scripting solution... Watch this space

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 9:59 AM
  • I know that RDA is from Microsoft but I think you have so much to do with this, for such a simple think like transfering tables from on mdf to other sdf. And also you have to be very lucky to work all these stuff together.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:25 PM
  • What is RDA, and how do I get it? I have quite a few SQL Express databases (.mdf / .ldf) that I would like to convert to Compact Edition 3.5 (.sdf). Is RDA thw way to do it?

Thanks,

Mable

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:11 PM
  • RDA is a SQL Compact technology to Pull (and Push) data from a SQL Server database to a SQL Compact database file.

You can read more about it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172436(SQL.90).aspx

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Can I use this to convert from one file type to the other? It looks like I need a working instance of SQL Server. My problem is that all my databases are configured to use a User Instance of SQL Server Express. Since I upgraded to SSE 2008, I have been unable to start a User Instance. I am looking for a way to recover my data.

Thanks for your help,

Mable

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Only a SQL Server instance can give you access to a mdf file, there are no other tools to access this directly. If you have SQL Express issues, please post a question in the SQL Express forum.

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:18 AM
  • Friday, September 19, 2008 11:00 AM
  • Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

The problem is that no one in the SQL Express forum has been able to help. See http://forums.microsoft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3821310&SiteID=1

--Mable

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Does this work even if I cannot open the database with SQL Management Studio? The problem is that I cannot get user instance to work with SQL Express 2008.

I tried to run the utility, but it says I have the wrong version of System.Data.SQLServerCe.dll. I have the version that came with Visual Basic Express 2008. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mable

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:52 PM
  • I don't know if this is the problem but when you select the 3.5 assembly you have to select the assembly that is in the Device folder and not the assembly in the Desktop folder, ie:

C:\Programm Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Devices\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

Bye
    Monday, September 29, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Thanks.

I made it work by using the primeworks application.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 3:41 AM
  • Hi,

How can i get convert a sdf file to mdf file.

I want to do it in c#.

if you know .Please help me.

i want to do it progamatically . i dont want to use any third party tools for export.

• Edited by DRBBIETSQL Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:20 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:13 AM