none
Help adding a bar chart that repeats for each row but spans all columns of a table.

Question

• Hi,

I am developing a dashboard for the SPO O15 Upgrade project and basically what I have is a semi complex table that represents [Customers] by rows and [Milestones] by columns.  I call the point where Milestone meets customer a "cell."

A cell contains:

• One table with 4 quadrants
    • One bar chart.
    • Two indicators.
    • About 7 textbox fields.

So you can imagine that there exists much logic to change the various items within a cell red, yellow, green, etc. and that each cell is repeated for each customer.  There are 13 milestones that must be completed to upgrade any given customer, so the number of cells equals 13 x # customers.

Each customer has a start and finish date and I would like to display a bar chart that spans the milestones for each customer, but my problem is that I cant get a single bar chart per row...what happens is that the bar chart repeats for every milestone column (each cell has a bar chart).

HOW DO I GET A SINGLE BAR CHART TO SPAN ALL COLUMNS FOR EACH ROW OF A TABLE?

It would be a very cool feature of the dashboard to show a bar chart for each customer that displays, "where we should be."

-Bill

-Bill

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:25 AM

Answers

• Are you using a table (as you state?) or a matrix? I assumed from the description that your milestones were set in a column group which indicates a matrix. If it is truly a table with 13 static columns, one for each of the 13 milestones, then you can insert a row inside group below the current data row. Multiselect the 13 cells in the new row and choose merge. Now add your chart.

If it is a matrix as I assumed, I know it is not exactly what you were looking for. Unfortunately, I don't believe you can place where you want to but you can get one chart showing all milestones for each row at least. There is no way to tell SSRS to span all dynamic columns in any case since in design view, they are all represented by a single column.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:00 PM

All replies

• Insert column either left or right, outside group. This will create a new column that, unlike your intersecting cells, is scoped only by the row groups. Insert your chart there and it will inherit the data for all milestones for the row's customer.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Yes but the bar chart will not go under the entire table (from left to right).  it will be confined to the width of one column right?  I need it to be the entire width of the table.

-Bill

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 4:57 AM
  • Are you using a table (as you state?) or a matrix? I assumed from the description that your milestones were set in a column group which indicates a matrix. If it is truly a table with 13 static columns, one for each of the 13 milestones, then you can insert a row inside group below the current data row. Multiselect the 13 cells in the new row and choose merge. Now add your chart.

If it is a matrix as I assumed, I know it is not exactly what you were looking for. Unfortunately, I don't believe you can place where you want to but you can get one chart showing all milestones for each row at least. There is no way to tell SSRS to span all dynamic columns in any case since in design view, they are all represented by a single column.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:00 PM
  • here is design view (TABLES WITHIN TABLE) that gets replicated out columns for however many milestones and rows for however many customers... 

Here is run view (part of it at least) on the left, and then on the right is how I would like to see it, with bar charts spanning the columns.  It is really a time bar the displays todays date between the start data and end date for each customer. that way I can show what milestone we should be at so the PM can determine if the project is on schedule.

Of course (as you mentioned) the problem is that you cannot create/add a row to the design view table and then merge all the columns of that row. I could limit the table to one customer (one row) and then copy it 50 times for each customer.  then I could just create a horizontal bar chart under each one.

I prefer the report to be dynamic and that seems like a cheap hack that could get me in trouble when someone asks for a quick change right? =)

Please advise...

-Bill

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:44 PM