none
Merge Replication 32bit/64bit & installation problems

Question

• I have an application that synchronizes local SQL Express databases on user machines with a main SQL Express database on a server machine.  Things work fine on 32-bit machines.  On 64-bit machines, I have to install the 32-bit version of SQL Express 2008 R2 in order to get the merge replication agent to run properly (although I believe that SQL Express 2012 RC0 may work as well either as is, or in conjunction with installing the SQL 2008 Native Client).

However, I just ran into a problem I couldn't workaround when trying to install on a 64-bit Windows Home Edition laptop.  I tried installing SQL Express 2008 R2 32-bit but the installation prerequisites failed saying WOW64 wasn't supported.   I installed SQL Express 2012 RC0 but when I ran my app, the merge agent failed saying "Class not Registered".

So... is there a correct way to install SQL Express on any machine and get merge replication functionality?  Is there some kind of issue with Windows 7 Home and what is the workaround?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:06 AM

Answers

• I have an application that synchronizes local SQL Express databases on user machines with a main SQL Express database on a server machine.  

Hi Bobzel,

SQL Server Express could only be used as a subscriber in replication. So you could not use it as a publisher. And installing SQL Server Express 2008 R2 on Windows 7 home edition is fine.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Peja Tao Friday, February 24, 2012 1:51 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Hi,

Follow instucton

1. Make sure all users, applications, and services are totally off the system for the entire duration of the downtime
    2. Upgrade SQL 2000 SP4 32bit to SQL 2005 (or 2008) 32bit (NOT x64! - that is not a viable upgrade path)
    3. Backup all databases
    4. Detach the user databases (the detach does a checkpoint to ensure consistency)
    5. Make copies of the mdf/ldf files for user and system dbs
    6. Uninstall SQL Server 2005 32bit (to make the instance name available)
    7. Install SQL Server 2005 x64 to the same instance name and at the EXACT same version as what was just uninstalled
    8. Restore master, model, msdb
    9. Attach the user databases
    10. If needed, run the update from Error message when you restore or attach an msdb database or when you change the syssubsystems table in SQL Server 2005: "Subsystem % could not be loaded"
    11. Apply the appropriate Service Pack and/or Cumulative Update
    12. Take full backups
    13. Allow users back in the system

http://www.techyv.com/questions/sql-server-update-32-bit-64-bit

• Proposed as answer by paulqandrew Monday, February 20, 2012 3:56 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 3:56 PM

All replies

• I have an application that synchronizes local SQL Express databases on user machines with a main SQL Express database on a server machine.  

Hi Bobzel,

SQL Server Express could only be used as a subscriber in replication. So you could not use it as a publisher. And installing SQL Server Express 2008 R2 on Windows 7 home edition is fine.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Hi,

Follow instucton

1. Make sure all users, applications, and services are totally off the system for the entire duration of the downtime
    2. Upgrade SQL 2000 SP4 32bit to SQL 2005 (or 2008) 32bit (NOT x64! - that is not a viable upgrade path)
    3. Backup all databases
    4. Detach the user databases (the detach does a checkpoint to ensure consistency)
    5. Make copies of the mdf/ldf files for user and system dbs
    6. Uninstall SQL Server 2005 32bit (to make the instance name available)
    7. Install SQL Server 2005 x64 to the same instance name and at the EXACT same version as what was just uninstalled
    8. Restore master, model, msdb
    9. Attach the user databases
    10. If needed, run the update from Error message when you restore or attach an msdb database or when you change the syssubsystems table in SQL Server 2005: "Subsystem % could not be loaded"
    11. Apply the appropriate Service Pack and/or Cumulative Update
    12. Take full backups
    13. Allow users back in the system

http://www.techyv.com/questions/sql-server-update-32-bit-64-bit

• Proposed as answer by paulqandrew Monday, February 20, 2012 3:56 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 3:56 PM