none
Best Practice for Configuring the FTP Connection Manager

Question

• Hi,

I have a FTP connection manager that transfers files to a client's FTP site. The problem is that this works 95% of the time and every so often I get error message: Error Code 0xC001602A: The server name or address could not be resolved:  Code: 0xC002918F Unable to connect to FTP server using "FTP Connection Manager"When this happens my client is convinced that the issue isn't with their FTP site but rather SSIS and when we test connecting to the FTP site manually it works everytime. Below is how I have my FTP connection manager configured - any best practices I should be using?

Server Name: ftp.myservername.com

Server Port: 21

Credentials: (I'm using a UserName & Password)

Time-Out: 60 sec

Use Passive Mode: Unchecked

Retries: 5

Chuck Size (in kb):

Thanks for your help.

Francis, MCTS: BI 2008, MCITP: BI 2008 Stay Thirsty My Friends

Monday, December 03, 2012 6:24 PM

Answers

• It cannot be the package itself because the implementation in SSIS as the package FTP component is merely a wrapper around the regular FTP client.

What I suspect is happening, at the time the package runs the FTP site is under maintenance.

If that happens randomly then it could be the DNS resolution issue that basically in both cases leads to your Admins eventually looking into this

Arthur My Blog

Monday, December 03, 2012 7:02 PM

All replies

• It cannot be the package itself because the implementation in SSIS as the package FTP component is merely a wrapper around the regular FTP client.

What I suspect is happening, at the time the package runs the FTP site is under maintenance.

If that happens randomly then it could be the DNS resolution issue that basically in both cases leads to your Admins eventually looking into this

Arthur My Blog

Monday, December 03, 2012 7:02 PM
  • as ArthurZ said, cannot be the package error.

but below is the batch file I am using to FTP files:

ONERROR GOTO end
    LOG \\log.txt
    TRACE \\Trace.txt

USER xxx
    PASS xxx

CONNECT ftp.myservername.com

CD /destination file folder path

LCD \\source file folder path

MPUT *.zip

CLOSE

LABEL end

Monday, December 03, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Thanks Arthur, I will work the DNS resolution end here and see what my Admin thinks.

Francis, MCTS: BI 2008, MCITP: BI 2008 Stay Thirsty My Friends

Monday, December 03, 2012 7:23 PM