none
Notification recovery and retry mechanism

Question

• Hi All,

We are using notification services in our newsletter engine.

System details are:

OS Windows 2003.

SQL server 2005.

Protocol: SMTP

Its sprodic, but we are getting issues in odd pattern

1: Service recovery, some times system has low memory or other resource crunch and

stops all such services. In recovery settings we have configured it to re-start the service after failure (in pic).

sometime  It doesn't; we have to manually restart this service.  recovery setting we have configured it to re-start itself on subsequent failures.In event viewer it records error only one time for the failure, idealy it should log for every attempt.

Does it mean it tries to restart itself only once after failure?

2: When NS mark a workitem as fail, means what is criteria?

The retry schedule in adf file  we have settings like

<RetrySchedule>
                  <RetryDelay>P0DT00H02M00S</RetryDelay>
                  <RetryDelay>P0DT00H03M00S</RetryDelay>
                </RetrySchedule>
                <FailuresBeforeAbort>3</FailuresBeforeAbort>
                <MulticastRecipientLimit>1000</MulticastRecipientLimit>
                <WorkItemTimeout>P0DT00H05M00S</WorkItemTimeout>
              </ProtocolExecutionSettings>

Last time it marked each notification as failed(in 3 to 4 workitem batches, for every retry (i.e 3 times)) but in SMTP logs 90% of recipient recieved this mail three time where as log table of NS db tells notification are failed. help me out.

Duplicate emails are client reported issue now:(.

at least can you tell me what % notification should be delivered to mark workitem as sucess.

in event log it shows "mail sending failed" hardly for 100 recipent of last work item. does it mean 900 recipeint recieved mail on first go.is this 'mark fail' criteria configurable?? if yes where is this?

Please help

• Edited by Docait Friday, February 17, 2012 5:13 AM miss spelld
    Friday, February 17, 2012 5:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Docait,

Have you applied the latest SP for SQL Server 2005? I would recommend to submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link. This connect site will serve as a connecting point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the large community for you and Microsoft to interact with. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services, meanwhile you can learn more about and contribute to the exciting projects on Microsoft Connect.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Peja Tao Friday, February 24, 2012 1:51 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 3:39 AM