none
MSDTC, log shipping and mirroring

Pregunta

• I was discussing the use of MSDTC with a colleague recently and the subject of MSDTC and recoverability came up as it so often does when another project says they need to use it! We understand that mirroring is not supported with MSDTC and we understand the reasons why but we can't understand why the reasons go away simply by using log shipping.

Taking the reason from BOL:

For distributed transactions: After a failover, the new principal server is unable to connect to the distributed transaction coordinator of the previous principal server that uses the same resource ID. Therefore, the new principal server cannot obtain the transaction status.

If we find ourselves encountering a failover scenario and moving to our log shipping target server surely it too will be unable to connect to the DTC since, as for mirroring, it will be a new server name and the DTC won't recognise it. I understand that the log shipping interval may be what prevents this from becomming an issue but with 2008 R2's support for sub-minute log shipping isn't this as likely to happen as it would be in a mirrored environment?

Would appreciate information from the members of this forum as we really couldn't see how log shipping is the solution. Thanks.
    martes, 21 de febrero de 2012 7:12

Todas las respuestas

• [Previously posted in Database Mirroring]

I understand that mirroring is not supported with MSDTC and also the reasons why it isn't but I can't understand why the identified problems are resolved by using log shipping.

Taking the information from BOL:

For distributed transactions: After a failover, the new principal server is unable to connect to the distributed transaction coordinator of the previous principal server that uses the same resource ID. Therefore, the new principal server cannot obtain the transaction status.

If we find ourselves encountering a failover scenario and moving to our log shipping target server surely it too will be unable to connect to the DTC since, as for mirroring, it will be a new server name and the DTC won't recognise it. I understand that the log shipping interval may be what prevents this from becoming an issue but with 2008 R2's support for sub-minute log shipping isn't this as likely to happen as it would be in a mirrored environment?

Would appreciate information from the members of this forum as I really couldn't see how log shipping is the solution. Happy to accept that I've missed something fundamental here but would really be interested to understand the mechanics. Thanks.

miércoles, 22 de febrero de 2012 0:36
  • Hi lb483,

I would like to involve someone familiar with this issue to have a look, and give an update later. Thanks for your understanding.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

jueves, 23 de febrero de 2012 11:07
  • Hello ,

When we bring the secondary server online in log shipping, distributed transactions will not be able to maintain the state between servers.

Thank You

Jayaprakash JO - MSFT

sábado, 25 de febrero de 2012 0:27
  • check this link for your knowledge

http://www.modhul.com/tag/biztalk-log-shipping/

miércoles, 21 de marzo de 2012 5:38