none
Time Out Problem on SQL Server 2005

Question

• Hi friends, i have a question.

I've a server with Windows 2003 Server Standard R2 with SQL Server 2005 (x86) Standard Edition.  Last week and Today, i received the following message:

"Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding (Microsoft SQL Server)"

The server had set the "timeout for remote queries" option to 600.

i checked it and the SQL server was using 1,68 GB (Memory Server Total: 4,00 GB).  i don´t understand what is the reason for this error. Finally i had reboot the SQL Instance and it works.

Is there a configuration about i'm not considering or is there a Service Pack or hotfix for this case?

Please help me with this.

Greetings

Aleds

• Modifié Aleds jeudi 12 juillet 2012 00:05
    jeudi 12 juillet 2012 00:04

Réponses

• It may a issue for that time being due to some load on SQL server at that time due to which you get time out issue.

• Try to check windows & SQL server logs for some information
    • If next time you face same issue, try to login through DAC & find out all set of queries runing of server along with waittype, CPU & memory usage for that session

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

jeudi 12 juillet 2012 14:35

Toutes les réponses

• It clearly shows that your queries are not completing in timeout time limit of 600 seconds.

Try to run queries manually on SQL server query windows to check the exacy execution time. You can also look at execution plan of query for performance improvment point of view.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

jeudi 12 juillet 2012 10:37
  • Hi RogitGard. thanks for your reply, but my scenario specific is the following:

1) The server (previously mentioned with win 2003 and SQL 2005) has an application that works with a database "X".

2) The users turn on the PC's about 8:00 am but on wednesday they reported to developer they couldn´t access to application

3) So, i tried to access to database from physical server and i obtained the following error when i tried to login athrough management studio

"Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding (Microsoft SQL Server)"

4) I rebooted the SQL Instance and i tried to connect, this time was successfully.

5) In Logs i ¡ didn't find something suspect.

Please help me with this, i had read that modify the timeout connection in SQL is not good (is Truth?)

Please help me with this.

Greetings

Aleds

jeudi 12 juillet 2012 14:18
  • It may a issue for that time being due to some load on SQL server at that time due to which you get time out issue.

• Try to check windows & SQL server logs for some information
    • If next time you face same issue, try to login through DAC & find out all set of queries runing of server along with waittype, CPU & memory usage for that session

jeudi 12 juillet 2012 14:35