none
The media set has 2 families

질문

• Hi Everyone ,

I tried all the solutions posted over here , but getting the error as below.

Cannot open backup device 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.AM2\MSSQL\Backup\rtc.bak'. Operating system error 2(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105).

please someone help me to solve this.

2012년 7월 4일 수요일 오전 6:18

답변

• If your problem is actually the title you give "The media set has 2 families" then:

1. This tells you that the backup you are trying to restore was written to two files.  You need both files to do a restore. If you only have 1 file, then you do not have a restorable backup.
    2. As pointed out above, the "rtc.bak" is not in the listed location.  However, it may be that the .bak files were moved to another folder.

If you are using SSMS to generate the restore statement or to run the restore SSMS only knows where the .bak files were written.  If they were moved you will need to edit the script to point to the proper location for both files.  SSMS does not know anything about someone moving files around.  (Nor does it know if someone deleted the files.)

For a lengthy discussion of "the media set has 2 families" problems, there is this long thread which includes comments from Tibor, who was the first responder to this thread.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/abf50e00-c9b0-4809-9e61-43ed8a53e968/

RLF

2012년 7월 6일 금요일 오후 3:26

모든 응답

• Your text in the post doesn't seem to match the subject of the post. Also, I don't know what "all the solutions posted over here refers to. Anyhow, the operating system error code 2 means "Cannot find the file specified". So, it seems there is no file named rtc.bak on the SQL Server machine in that path.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

2012년 7월 4일 수요일 오전 6:36
    중재자
  • Manually browse the directory to check the backup file, I think either file not exits or path is incorrect

'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.AM2\MSSQL\Backup\rtc.bak'

2012년 7월 4일 수요일 오전 9:20
  • SQL Server Service account is not having permission on this particular file.

Secondly i believe you are getting this error while restoring the backup file.

you can add your sql server service account to your administrator users.

2012년 7월 5일 목요일 오전 7:46
  • If your problem is actually the title you give "The media set has 2 families" then:

1. This tells you that the backup you are trying to restore was written to two files.  You need both files to do a restore. If you only have 1 file, then you do not have a restorable backup.
    2. As pointed out above, the "rtc.bak" is not in the listed location.  However, it may be that the .bak files were moved to another folder.

If you are using SSMS to generate the restore statement or to run the restore SSMS only knows where the .bak files were written.  If they were moved you will need to edit the script to point to the proper location for both files.  SSMS does not know anything about someone moving files around.  (Nor does it know if someone deleted the files.)

For a lengthy discussion of "the media set has 2 families" problems, there is this long thread which includes comments from Tibor, who was the first responder to this thread.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqltools/thread/abf50e00-c9b0-4809-9e61-43ed8a53e968/

RLF

2012년 7월 6일 금요일 오후 3:26