none
SQL 2008 SSIS and SSRS Licensing issue

คำถาม

• Hi,

I am a DBA and we are not allowed to access the database server via rdp.So, I have installed SQL tools:BIDS,SSMS,Integration services , SQL reports configuration manager ,Performance tools on my workstation so that i can connect to database server remotely. As actually live integration/reporting services are running on remote database server ;I am just wondering do i need to buy a full SQL Server license to connect to remote computer from my workstation.I would appreciate your response.

Thanks

Harinder

10 พฤษภาคม 2555 9:01

คำตอบ

• I am a DBA and we are not allowed to access the database server via rdp.So, I have installed SQL tools:BIDS,SSMS,Integration services , SQL reports configuration manager ,Performance tools on my workstation so that i can connect to database server remotely. As actually live integration/reporting services are running on remote database server ;I am just wondering do i need to buy a full SQL Server license to connect to remote computer from my workstation.I would appreciate your response.

the answer is - yes and no - it depends on your current installation.

what you definitively need is to correctly license the access to the SQL Server on the remote server. this can either be a user or device CAL if the SQL Server is using a CAL based licensing model. if the SQL Server is processor based licensed or if it is a SQL Server 2008 Express edition you don't need a license to access the data.

if you're install a SQL Server 2008 or one of its features (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS) on your local computer you need to buy a full SQL Server license for your computer. The license for the SQL Server components SSRS, SSIS or SSAS can't be transfer to a separate server and is always bound to the SQL Server database engine component.

If you want to use SSIS and SSRS locally for development purpose only, you can buy SQL Server 2008 Development edition which is less than USD 100 but that edition can't be used in production environment.

Alternatively you can install SQL Server 2008 Express edition with Advanced Services (includes Reporting Services) and use those components to generate the reports but in this case you've to license the access to the SQL Server 2008 on the remote server as specified above.

if you're considering SQL Server Express edition than I would recommand to use SQL Server 2008 R2 Express edition with SP1 already included ( download from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26729 and download SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe or SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe  depending on your plattform

BIDS is not included in the Express edition but in Developer edition.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

10 พฤษภาคม 2555 11:15