none
Problems opening database project under source control

    問題

  • Hello All,

    There are some posts on similar manifestations of this problem but none that resolved my issue.

    I am attempting to open a database project on VS2010 ultimate resulting in the message below:

    The file 'M:\view1\DB\database.dbmdl' could not be created. If that file exists, it might be locked by another application. Refer to the Output window for more details. The exception message is 'InternalError:SqlCeManager could not be initialized.; The file resolves to a path that is too long. The maximum length is 260 characters. [File name = M:\view1\DB\database.dbmdl ]'.

    The project is housed in ClearCase for source control and was created when I was running Windows XP, in which case I had no problems opening the project.  After migrating to Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit, I started experiencing these problems. I have a valid version of SQL CE and, as you can see, my path is less than 260 characters. The file or the folder that contains it are not locked. It wonder if this is some compatilibity issue between my source control manager and Windows 7.

    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

     

    Kind regards

    CD

    2011年11月29日 下午 10:15

解答

  • Hi CD,

    Is drive M a local drive or network drive? The error message is not accurate as what the specific issue is. SQLCE can not work against remote storage or mapped drives. It has to use a local drive for its DB files.


    Best Regards,
    Peja

    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • 已標示為解答 Peja Tao 2011年12月8日 上午 02:21
    2011年11月30日 上午 06:35
  • Hello Peja,

    M is a mapped drive managed by ClearCase. Was there any change on SQLCE for Windows 7? The same project that fails in Windows 7 works well in Windows XP.

    Thank you

    CD


    @CD,

    Not sure about  the change on SQLCE for Win 7,but you could try a local drive on Win 7 to check whether it works or not .


    Best Regards,
    Peja

    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • 已標示為解答 Peja Tao 2011年12月8日 上午 02:21
    2011年12月1日 上午 05:07

所有回覆

  • Hi CD,

    Is drive M a local drive or network drive? The error message is not accurate as what the specific issue is. SQLCE can not work against remote storage or mapped drives. It has to use a local drive for its DB files.


    Best Regards,
    Peja

    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • 已標示為解答 Peja Tao 2011年12月8日 上午 02:21
    2011年11月30日 上午 06:35
  • Hello Peja,

    M is a mapped drive managed by ClearCase. Was there any change on SQLCE for Windows 7? The same project that fails in Windows 7 works well in Windows XP.

    Thank you

    CD

    2011年11月30日 下午 10:15
  • Hello Peja,

    M is a mapped drive managed by ClearCase. Was there any change on SQLCE for Windows 7? The same project that fails in Windows 7 works well in Windows XP.

    Thank you

    CD


    @CD,

    Not sure about  the change on SQLCE for Win 7,but you could try a local drive on Win 7 to check whether it works or not .


    Best Regards,
    Peja

    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • 已標示為解答 Peja Tao 2011年12月8日 上午 02:21
    2011年12月1日 上午 05:07
  • I had the same problem, dbmdl file was locked. could not find a solution any where on the web. But finally I did the following; I am using Windows 7

    1) Copy the old .dbmdl in the database project

    2) Right click the file and go to its "Properties"

    3) Goto Office files

    4) Press sync Now..

    5) You should be able to see older file, replace the older file with current version

    6) Re load teh project, it will load the older dbmdl file(if it fails the first time try reloading it again)

    This seems to solve the issue apperently

    2012年5月17日 上午 11:35
  • I am a rookie in this technology.

    Ran through the same problem.
    Tried implementing the above solutions , but to no avail. Please give some more solution or elaborate the given soutions.

    I was not able to follow the 3rd step above

    3) Goto Office files

    Thanking you in advance..

    2012年6月21日 上午 11:12