none
Adding HyperV hosts to SCVMM 2012

Dotaz

• I'm attempting to add 4 Hyper-V servers.  I'm only able to add 3 of the 4 Hyper-V servers in SCVMM 2012. I had the same problem in SCVMM 2008.  Is there something I'm missing in adding them?  I verified a few of the small things such as Windows Firewall, 3rd party security ect...

I've tried adding the host both using IP and hostname, but still no luck.

I just find it odd that the issue exists on both SCVMM 2008 and SCVMM 2012.
    28. dubna 2011 0:25

Odpovědi

• Just to give an update on this, Andres and I talked with sheld0r today and resolved this long and ongoing issue.

Two things we identified;

1. The NetBIOS domain name was not part of the subdomain names of the DNS domain name (e.g. NetBIOS domain name was CONTOSO and the DNS domain name was NWTRADER.COM) 

Note: This may first look like a disjointed name space issue but it is not since the definition of disjoint name space is "primary DNS suffix of a computer does not match the DNS domain name where that computer resides" in this case, the computer name and the DNS domain names were the same, just the NetBIOS domain name was different.

2. The run as account created didn't have the user name added in the correct format which is domain\username. (e.g. instead of CONTOSO\Username it was Username@nwtraders.com)

We changed the run as account to be contoso\username and all worked fine, we added all the hosts.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

15. května 2012 18:28

Všechny reakce

• SCVMM has a very high reliance on DNS.  Thsi si one thing that has stayed true through the various revisions.

I would check that your DNS is clean.  That is my only guess from what you have shared.

Beyond that, we would need to know more about your errors.

Is it the same physical server?  Was the server rebuilt?  Do you keep giving the servers the smae name when you rebuild them?  Do you delete the computer accounts from AD when you unjoin and re-join? etc.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    28. dubna 2011 15:23
  • Heya Brian!  I stepped away for a few days to work on another issue.

So I've verified my DNS and the settings are correct. 

The server was never rebuilt, nor was the name of the server changed.  The server also never left the domain.  I can see where you're coming from in regards to DNS, but from the look of things DNS is good.

Here is the exact error message I'm receiving.  The first bullet is the only one that is going to be valid really, the others I know for sure are good.

There were no computers discovered based on your inputs.  Please verify the following:

-Your Virtual Machine Manager Server service account has at least read access to the Active Directory domain you requested to discover.
    -Your Virtual Machine Manager Server has access to the computers in the discovery scope.
    -The servers you specified are powered on and running.
    -You specified valid credentials to access the servers.
    -The user account that you specified has Administrator privileges on the windows servers to be discovered.

4. května 2011 17:24
  • I hate to ask the obvious, but..

Your SCVMM server is in the same domain as the Hyper-V servers?  The SCVMM server is on the same physical subnet as the Hyper-V servers (VLAN, etc.)?  Windows Advanced Firewall settings all correct?

And, the user credentials you specified are in the local administrator security group on the remote servers?

Discovery is scrictly based on DNS and secondly on the SCVMM server using the IP that it gets back - it very strictly wants to use FQDNs.

The other possibility is if your target Hyper-V server has two management interfaces on the same subnet.  This is a bad multi-homed configuration ans will cause problems with Hyper-V.

The interesting part is that you saw the same problem with an earlier version.  That tells me there is something most likely at the routing / physical layer.

I won't ask you to ping, because it should be off by default, unless you turn it on - but basic network connectivity and resolution needs to be verified.

I am pulling a blank otherwise.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    4. května 2011 18:13
  • Not a problem Brian, the obvious questions sometimes make all the difference. So...

The SCVMM is in the same domain, and in the same VLAN.  The Windows Advanced Firewall is actually disabled. 

The user credentials I entered was the domain admin account.

I've tried adding the host using the FQDN, I also verified that the FQDN was correct.

The target Hyper-V server has 3 NICs.  One NIC is connected to the LAN and the other two are connected to the SAN switch.  The SAN switch is on an entirely different subnet.

I also find it interesting that I had the same issue with SCVMM 2008.  But everything is checking out and have the same settings as the other two Hyper-V servers.  Thanks for trying, I'm going to keep digging and post my findings on here.

I've verified basic connectivity too.

4. května 2011 22:08
  • You've removed the old agent right?

What do the logs tell you? At the time you're trying to add a host do you see the agent being installed and starting in SCM.

I am a novice with this stuff but given what you've mentioned above authentication and connectivity doesn't look to be the issue so I'd be looking at the mechansim used to add a host to VMM which to my understanding is the agent

11. května 2011 4:13
  • This post is older than 30 days or we have not heard back from you.  Looks like you did not get an answer here.  Did this issue get resolved?  If so, please share with community how you resolved.  Otherwise, re-activate post if you still require assistance.

Carmen M. Summers (MSFT) --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    7. června 2011 2:03
  • I'm having this same issue and was checking to see if any solutions were found.  I'm trying to evaluate SCVMM 2012 but have been unable to add my two Hyper-v hosts.  I'm running Windows 2008R2 on the server that SCVMM is loaded on.  On the same machine I can connect to both host with the Hyper-V manager.  Our domain is still Windows 2003 AD and the domain functional level is Windows 2003. 
    17. ledna 2012 17:24
  • +1. 

Having a very similar problem.  To debug, I used the "Specify Active Directory Query" instead of specifying a single server.  For a search pattern, I just put "*".

What I got back was about half of the servers in my little test domain (only about 20 hosts including VM's).  So, I know that I can "see" AD but not all hosts are being returned.  Note that some physical hosts are listed and some VM's are listed.  But not all...

Perhaps there is a check being done by VMM that's eliminating some of the hosts?

I tried this on VMM 2012 RC and VMM 2012 Pre-RTM, same problem.  This does not occur on SCVMM 2007 for me.  I've been running on these same machines and they worked fine.  I also removed the VMM 2007 client bits just to be sure.  Same problem.

Alex

13. února 2012 20:09
  • This post is older than 30 days or we have not heard back from you.  Looks like you did not get an answer here.  Did this issue get resolved?  If so, please share with community how you resolved.  Otherwise, re-activate post if you still require assistance.

Carmen M. Summers (MSFT) --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I actually did not find the answer here, I simply had to put this project on the back burner.  You know how it goes in IT.  I see a couple recommendations, so I'll give those a try and post back my findings.  This thead is stil very much alive =)
    13. února 2012 21:54
  • Hey there,

I know this post is very old, but if anyone else is having the same problem. I could replicate this issue by just adding an entry for the server into the hosts file of the SCVMM server (I had a hosts entry for another reason for one Hyper-V box which was causing this error at discovery. As soon as I removed it, the error went away).

Hope this helps

Gareth

10. března 2012 21:42
  • In My case the reverse DNS lookup Zone was missing

I hope this helps as well

Rudy

• Navržen jako odpověď Matt5150 8. června 2014 6:43
    13. dubna 2012 13:57
  • I am having the same problem as others.  I have three HyperV servers.

1 and 2: 3 NICs, all three on different subnets, one used for LAN and two used for iscsi -- all available for for VMs.

3: 5 NICs, three subnets, 1 used for LAN, 4 for iscsi.  All available for VMs.

My VMM VM is sitting on #3.  The only server I can add is the physical host (#3).

I can resolve the other two server names, by both name and FQDN.  I can also reverse the IP to a hostname.

I made the VMM service account a domain admin.  I disabled all the firewalls.

Anyone have any other ideas?

13. dubna 2012 21:40
  • I had this issue as well and here is how I ended up resolving it:

The target server was on DHCP, but for whatever reason, was not registering with DNS. I manually created a DNS entry for it and had to give Everyone read permission on the record. Following an ipconfig /flushdns, I was able to add the server to my VM hosts.

This is more of a duct-tape solution, as I expect I would continue to have DNS issues with this server, but it is being decommissioned once its VMs are migrated elsewhere, so I'm not too concerned with that.

29. dubna 2012 18:58
  • I've returned back to this project and continue to have the same problem. I'm glad to see others have found workarounds, unfortunately none of which have worked for me.

I've actually started fresh and reinstalled SCVMM on an entirely new server.  I first tried to add one of my HyperV host using the Administrator account.  I browse for the host and I'm able to find it.  Once I try to add the host I get the following error, ERROR 10421 The specified user account cannot be the same as the VMM service account.

So with that being the case, I created another account as a domain admin.  I'm unable to browse for the server.  When I enter the server I'm searching for and click next I get the following error:

There were no computers discovered based on your inputs.  

Per the recommendation to fix this issue, I've made sure the VMM server service account does indeed have read/write access to the Active Directory domain. 

Any thoughts on this issue?

10. května 2012 18:54
  • Hello Sheld0r,

Are you trying SCVMM 2008 R2 or SCVMM 2012 now?

"I'm unable to browse for the server.  "

While adding hyperv host to SCVMM , you are getting "There were no computers discovered based on your inputs. " , right?

Can you give more details about your SCVMM and SQL Server and Hyperv Hosts.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

10. května 2012 21:37
  • Heya Murat,

I'm running SCVMM 2012 now.  That's correct.  If I try to run as Administrator it tells me I can't use the same account as the VMM. So I created another account.

All my servers including the hosts are running Server 2008 R2.  I'm running SQL Server 2008 R2.  

I found it odd that with the Administrator account I could browse and see the server, but I got the error afterwards.  With the newly created account I couldn't even browse.  I even created the account as a domain admin. 

11. května 2012 4:47
  • Hi Sheld0r,

"Specifying a Service Account for VMM

During the installation of a VMM management server in VMM, on the Configure service account and distributed key management page, you must configure the System Center Virtual Machine Manager service to use either the Local System account or a domain account.

The following are some considerations about configuring the account used by the Virtual Machine Manager service:

• If you specify a domain account, the account must be a member of the local Administrators group on the computer.
    • If you specify a domain account, it is strongly recommended that you create an account that is specifically designated to be used for this purpose. When a host is removed from the VMM management server, the account that the System Center Virtual Machine Manager service is running under is removed from the local Administrators group of the host. If the same account is used for other purposes on the host, this can cause unexpected results.
    • If you plan to use shared ISO images with Hyper-V virtual machines, you must use a domain account."

Can you try with FQDN , Hypervhost.constoso.com and with IP Address ?

Host and SCVMM are in the same VLAN or in the same subnet?

I am asking these questions cause to identify the problem. In normally it should perfectly work :)

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

11. května 2012 6:32
  • I tried with the FQDN, HyperVhost.company.local, IP address and still no luck.  The host and SCVMM are in the same VLAN.

Here is the exact error:

11. května 2012 16:46
  • Like Alex I must use the AD query option as well to get a good return.

One question for sheld0r - why are you running your SCVMM server under a domain user account?  Instead of the default of Local System?

I do know that running it as a domain user account requires a bit of additional work around teh entire domain as computer accounts are inherantly trusted differently.

Also, unless your domain has a custom policy, any user account should have the ability to query - but I have seen domains where this is tightened down and they cannot.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

11. května 2012 16:54
  • I figured that would be the least resistance, being that's a domain user.  I guess I was dead wrong on that assumption.  I get the same error for the local system account.  The only account I'm able to query with is the Administrator account.  But I get an error when I try to run this job.

11. května 2012 17:05
  • Is this a domain that you are an administrator of?

Is your user account a domain administrator? (both?)

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

11. května 2012 17:09
  • Yup, I'm the administrator of this domain.  The account is also a domain admin.  I'm logging into he server as the Administrator too.

11. května 2012 17:14
  • SCVMM is very, very sensative to DNS issues and improper SPN issues.

If you ahve rebuilt the SCVMM server and simply reused the existing AD computer accounts over time, this can create problems (I do it all the time - give the machine the same name as the previous without deleting the previous account from AD).

I also know that removing the computer from teh domain and re-adding will break SCVMM - and it needs a re-install after.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

11. května 2012 17:20
  • This is a fresh build of SCVMM on an entirely new virtual machine.  No AD computer account was reused.  I also created a new server name too.  This is so unbelievably frustrating. 

11. května 2012 17:39
  • Hi,

Very sorry that you have been issues with your VMM 2012 installation, I can understand how frustrating this must be since you can't even add a host to VMM yet. Just want to let you know that I am a PM in the VMM product team and I already let couple of my collegues to take a look at this issue.

In the meantime it would really help us if you can collect a trace for us, instead of throwing more ideas this would tell us exactly what is going on in your installation, you can find the information on how to collect a successful VMM trace here http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonjor/archive/2011/01/07/vmmtrace-simplified-scvmm-tracing.aspx

So please get this trace and let us know, if you can't send it through here we can give you more options.

Regards,

Kerim Hanif

11. května 2012 18:49
  • Can you please just test to add the VMM computer account to the local administrator group on your Hyper-V hosts, and run the operation once again?

(I`ll also "open" this thread again, so it`s more likely to be seen by the forum users)

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

11. května 2012 19:10

• Hi,

Very sorry that you have been issues with your VMM 2012 installation, I can understand how frustrating this must be since you can't even add a host to VMM yet. Just want to let you know that I am a PM in the VMM product team and I already let couple of my collegues to take a look at this issue.

In the meantime it would really help us if you can collect a trace for us, instead of throwing more ideas this would tell us exactly what is going on in your installation, you can find the information on how to collect a successful VMM trace here http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonjor/archive/2011/01/07/vmmtrace-simplified-scvmm-tracing.aspx

So please get this trace and let us know, if you can't send it through here we can give you more options.

Regards,

Kerim Hanif

Thank you so much Kerim!! I'm going to install it now and give it a try.

• Upravený sheld0r 11. května 2012 19:15
    11. května 2012 19:14
  • Output from DebugView

00000000 0.00000000 [3752] 3752: 2012-05-11 12:23:33.957 [CBS]                       IsCacheStillGood: True.
    00000001 0.64814520 [3752] 3752: 2012-05-11 12:23:34.605 [Services] Error (Id=0) System.InvalidOperationException: Service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE was not found on computer 'SYSTEMCENTER'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The specified service does not exist as an installed service
    00000002 0.64814520 [3752]    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    00000003 0.64814520 [3752]    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GenerateNames()
    00000004 0.64814520 [3752]    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.get_DisplayName()
    00000005 0.64814520 [3752]    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServiceInfo.InitServiceInfo(Object obj)
    00000006 120.72968292 [3752] 3752: 2012-05-11 12:25:34.683 [CBS]                       IsCacheStillGood: True.
    00000007 121.42587280 [3752] 3752: 2012-05-11 12:25:35.380 [Services] Error (Id=0) System.InvalidOperationException: Service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE was not found on computer 'SYSTEMCENTER'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The specified service does not exist as an installed service
    00000008 121.42587280 [3752]    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    00000009 121.42587280 [3752]    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GenerateNames()
    00000010 121.42587280 [3752]    at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.get_DisplayName()
    00000011 121.42587280 [3752]    at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServiceInfo.InitServiceInfo(Object obj)

11. května 2012 19:27
  • sheld0r, something you can try is to bypass the AD discovery the UI is attempting:

click on the powershell icon in the VMM console, once the powershell window opens, type:

• $cred = get-credential

(enter the domain\user and password for the second domain account you created, just make sure that domain account is added to the local administrators group on the host you're trying to add)

• add-scvmhost -credential $cred -computername <either_NetBIOS_or_FQDN_of_your_host>

I'm also suspecting the problematic host version is not exactly 2008 R2 RTM, to confirm this can you please type "ver" in a command prompt for each of your hosts? (you should get 6.1.7600)

*Andres - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all.

11. května 2012 19:28
  • Other information that could help us diagnose what's going on would be the output of the following cmdlets (with the appropriate values for the parameters):

$raa = Get-SCRunAsAccount [for the RAA you're using]

Find-SCComputer -ComputerName "yourComputer" -Credential $raa

Find-SCComputer -ComputerNameFilter "yourComputer" -Domain "domain" -ExcludeVMMHost -Credential $raa

Find-SCCluster -ComputerName "yourComputer" -Credential $raa

The discovery process uses a combination of these three cmdlets to find the computer and determine whether it's part of a cluster or a standalone host. Knowing the output could help us determine what is going on.

11. května 2012 19:29
  • I've added the VMM computer account to the local admin group on the Hyper-V hosts, but still no go same error.
    11. května 2012 19:48
  • Running version 6.1.7601
    11. května 2012 19:49
  • Well for starters I can't get any of those commands to work.  I've entered the relevant data as for as youComputer and domain name, but I'm unable to run the commands.
    11. května 2012 19:56
  • Hello sheld0r,

What error you are getting for running command?

"Find-SCComputer : Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'Credential'."

Did you run Powershell with administrative priviledges?

import-module virtualmachinemanager

Then try to run the command.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

11. května 2012 21:16
  • Hello Sheld0r again,

Additional to Mr. Kerim Hanif, and Lucia Sanchez;

For clarify and for the powershell command working;

1. Create a RunAsAccount which you create before as secondary domain admin account.

2. Then on the target hyperv host be sure that secondary domain admin account is in Local Administrator Group.

3. On SCVMM try to add host .

For powershell ;

import-module virtualmachinemanager

$RunAsAccount = Get-SCRunAsAccount -Name "Your Secondary Domain Admin Account"

Find-SCComputer -Domain contoso.com -FindHyperVHosts -ExcludeVMMHost -Credential $RunAsAccount

Blue one is the secondary domain admin account name.

Red one is the domain name.

Sincerely,

11. května 2012 22:39
  • Hello Sheld0r,

Also if upper post is not working ,

can you try to install agent to hyperv host manually from;

\\yourSCVMMServer\c$\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\agents\amd64\3.0.6005.0\

copy vmmagent.msi to hyperv host (for example in c:\ drive)

Open Command Prompt with Administrative Priviledges ( Run as Administrator )

Run vmmagent.msi and install the agent.

If successfully finished, try to add the host from VMM.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

11. května 2012 22:57
  • I have to agree with Murat on the last option (has work for me on several projects). Make sure in the add/remove programs you don't have previosu version VMM installed. Make sure to remove them and then install the latest VMM agent. (By now we know sheld0r has all the DNS records functionoing properly)

Thanks,
    Susantha

12. května 2012 1:01
  • Hi

I had this issue 2 days ago : not being able to join the hyper-v hosts to VMM 2012.

I got it solved by looking in to DNS. In my case it was an DNS suffix that was causing the issue. As Brian said, VMM has a very high reliance on DNS and I would double check it.

try ping -a vmm-ip-address from the hyper-v host and vice versa and check if the ip match the dns name

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such
    http://virtualizacaoegerenciamento.wordpress.com

12. května 2012 1:35
  • Hi Sheld0r,

I'm just finishing to read all the posts written for your problem. I'm asking the following question:

Did you define your new RunAs account (domain admin user) as sysadmin of your vmm DB ?

Cheers,

David LACHARI
    MVP Virtual Machine - VCP et VTSP vSphere 4.1
    Blog DansTonCloud
    Auteur du livre Hyper-v v2 sous Windows Server 2008 R2

13. května 2012 5:47
  • sheld0r one other thing we can do is to have a conf call where we can resolve this once and for all, I would hate to see you suffer for so long... 

14. května 2012 16:37
  • Believe it or not, I got yet another error. Unreal!  I'm unable to install the agent. 

I get the following error:
    There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I copied the vmmAgent.msi to the host's C: drive, and also tried copying the entire folder and accessing the vmmAgent from within the folder, as I noticed it had 2 other files inside the folder.

14. května 2012 21:16
  • Unfortunately, I got the same results.
    14. května 2012 21:16
  • Just to give an update on this, Andres and I talked with sheld0r today and resolved this long and ongoing issue.

Two things we identified;

1. The NetBIOS domain name was not part of the subdomain names of the DNS domain name (e.g. NetBIOS domain name was CONTOSO and the DNS domain name was NWTRADER.COM) 

Note: This may first look like a disjointed name space issue but it is not since the definition of disjoint name space is "primary DNS suffix of a computer does not match the DNS domain name where that computer resides" in this case, the computer name and the DNS domain names were the same, just the NetBIOS domain name was different.

2. The run as account created didn't have the user name added in the correct format which is domain\username. (e.g. instead of CONTOSO\Username it was Username@nwtraders.com)

We changed the run as account to be contoso\username and all worked fine, we added all the hosts.

15. května 2012 18:28
  • Hello Sheld0r,

Now it is time to enjoy VMM 2012 benefits.

Hope you will enjoy.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

15. května 2012 19:43
  • I've been meaning to update this thread, but just been caught up with work.

First I'd like to thank everybody for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it!  I want to extend a big thank you to Kerim for taking time out of his day to contact me, remote in, and help resolve the issue.  We found some inconsistency in the network that Kerim was able to find quite quickly.

I had trouble adding a few of the hosts because they were part of a cluster.  I was testing the clustering feature and had forgotten I added them to a cluster.  Once the cluster was removed, I was able to add the hosts right away.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but to add the hosts while in a cluster I would simply search for the cluster name and at it with the cluster name.

The windows installer package error was simple resolved by navigating to the system install cd and installing the agent.

@ Murat I plan to take advantage of all the features.  Thanks again!!

Cheers mates,

21. května 2012 20:54
  • Hello Sheld0r,

Nice to get good news.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but to add the hosts while in a cluster I would simply search for the cluster name and at it with the cluster name."

Yes, if you write your cluster name to add, it will screen you the cluster nodes to choose all.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

21. května 2012 21:05
  • hi , i got this error and run as account written domain\username

please i need step by step to finish add user privelege on host server or the steps i should follow to skip this error

Ayman

Ayman Shazly

23. května 2012 15:17
  • Hi Ayman,

Have you tried to add all Hyper-v hosts and cluster name to Hosts file ?

Mohamed Fawzi | http://fawzi.wordpress.com

5. června 2012 12:21
  • Hi M Fawzi, 

I got the problem the same as Ayman, and I tried to add Hyper-V host (physical host) to VMM's Hosts file. However, the problem still exists. Please help me as soon as possible!

19. června 2012 3:34
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. Pls help urgent.

Thank you.

• Upravený PeterPhi 20. června 2012 3:27
    20. června 2012 3:27
  • Please use VMMTrace to collect data and send it back

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonjor/archive/2009/04/07/scvmm-tracing-made-easy.aspx

Mohamed Fawzi | http://fawzi.wordpress.com

20. června 2012 12:21
  • Hi...

I had the same problem with my VMM 2012 Installation.... Check all the issues listed above, and done just a ipconfig /flushdns and nbtstat -RR... Problem was solved instantly....

14. srpna 2012 11:51