none
MMC Cannot initialize snap-in

Question

• Been trying to install the SCCM admin console on my Windows XP SP2 system for a while now.

I have installed all the prereqs and the prereq checker shows I'm all good, not even a warning.

When done installing the SCCM2007 SP2 admin console I install SCCM 2007 R2 right afterwards.

When launching the MMC I always get the error "MMC cannot initialize snap-in".

I've tried googling it with few results.  I have found some posts like:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgradminconsole/thread/d97e2f10-8e7e-485d-912c-5292fbec1817

But I've tried everything listed in there and none is working.  Including:

Renaming the adminconsole file to adminconsole.old

Making sure the registry points to the correct install location

Tried creating a clean MMC.exe and adding the snapin (SCCM Snapin doesn't appear in the list though)

No MMC.config to delete either

Anything else?

Thanks,

Terry

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:50 PM

Answers

• Well I finally got it working.  Had to do the steps outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300956

It took a while but now it installs.

Terry

PS - Any insight on why Performance Monitor Counters would cause the MMC not to initialize?  Seems weird to me.

• Marked as answer by mattw112 Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:22 PM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:18 PM

All replies

• I did, when I run through the example I get different errors than performance monitor counters...  See below:

An exception occurred during the Install phase.

System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

The Rollback phase of the installation is beginning.

See the contents of the log file for the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI\bin\AdminUI.ResourceExplorerConsole.dll assembly's progress.

The file is located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI\bin\AdminUI.ResourceExplorerConsole.InstallLog.

Rolling back assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI\bin\AdminUI.ResourceExplorerConsole.dll'.

Affected parameters are:

logtoconsole =

assemblypath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI\bin\AdminUI.ResourceExplorerConsole.dll

logfile = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI\bin\AdminUI.ResourceExplorerConsole.InstallLog

An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.ResourceExplorerConsole.SmsResourceExplorerSnapInInstaller installer.

System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the rollback will continue. However, the machine might not fully revert to its initial state after the rollback is complete.

The Rollback phase completed successfully.

Terry

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:45 PM
  • What happen if you remove/re-install .Net ???

Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Which one?  /nets are kind of a pain... is this a guess or somethignt hat might actually work?  I don't want to go through uninstalling and reinstalling if don't have to?

The SMS Admin console was on here previously to installing SCCM admin console and it worked fine... 

Any more indepth verbose logging the admin console can produce beyond "failed to initialize"?

Terry

Friday, July 02, 2010 4:15 AM
  • So I uninstalled all .net frameworks from the systems and then reinstalled them.  Then reinstalled SCCM admin console and still get same message...

Terry

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:25 PM
  • If you have tried different workstations of similar capabilities, and only one has the issue, then it is a build issue with that one system (seen that numerous times). Whenever I've told people to rebuild the box, the issue has always gone away.

If not, then you likely need to open a case with CSS.

Wally Mead
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:29 PM
  • I am a contractor and working several thousand miles away.  Plus system took a long time to get configured for me... so would rather not send back for rebuild.

It seems like there should be an easy way to fix this though?  I mean what does a SCCM MMC need to initialize?

I know MMC itself is working I can start MMC and add every snap in on my system to it and it works fine.  Save it, close it, open it, etc...

I've installed all the prereqs.

SMS Admin Console was working fine on here when I did the SCCM Console installation (I have since uninstalled it though as part of troubleshooting)

I do see when trying to uninstall the SCCM admin console it says Cannot unregister...3 dlls. Error code -1.  Not sure if that helps any.

Also I see in the log when doing the install "Failed to set security on SQL Server registry key.  Error 2" Even though I am admin on this box?  Right after that says "Failed to set security on identification registry key. Error 2".

Can anyone tell me where those keys are so I can see what security is set on them?

Thanks,

Terry

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Well I finally got it working.  Had to do the steps outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300956

It took a while but now it installs.

Terry

PS - Any insight on why Performance Monitor Counters would cause the MMC not to initialize?  Seems weird to me.

• Marked as answer by mattw112 Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:22 PM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:18 PM