none
My Documents Folder Size

Question

• We are in the process of moving users to Windows 7 and are looking to see if SCCM can help us with gathering the folder size of My Documents.  Is there a way to impliment this?  While our users have a "H" drive, My Documents isn't redirected to that so at a best guess 95% of our 16,000 users are using their local system to store data.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:42 PM

Answers

• My first out of the box approach would be to script it, deploy it through SCCM or GPO and have the clients report back to an external DB.

On the other hand, Sherry Kissinger's article could help you out:

http://www.myitforum.com/absolutenm/templates/Articles.aspx?articleid=12501&zoneid=89

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:31 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:18 PM
  • No, what I personally recommend is using USMT.  You can script USMT to only report "what if".  So you'd script that to dump the size into a regkey (at least that is what we did) to estimate "what would happen is USMT were to really run on this computer and dump the files somewhere--how much space would that really be".

Everyone's idea of what to save in a USMT action is completely custom to each individual company; so that's really your first step--get USMT working with the settings and files you expect to retain.

for scanstate.exe, you'll be interested in the /p option, which dumps a file.  then you read that file to pull out the size, and dump that size into a regkey.  then regkeytomof, and you'll have the estimate in cm for that box, for YOUR settings.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:32 AM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:38 PM

All replies

• My first out of the box approach would be to script it, deploy it through SCCM or GPO and have the clients report back to an external DB.

On the other hand, Sherry Kissinger's article could help you out:

http://www.myitforum.com/absolutenm/templates/Articles.aspx?articleid=12501&zoneid=89

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:31 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:18 PM
  • No, what I personally recommend is using USMT.  You can script USMT to only report "what if".  So you'd script that to dump the size into a regkey (at least that is what we did) to estimate "what would happen is USMT were to really run on this computer and dump the files somewhere--how much space would that really be".

Everyone's idea of what to save in a USMT action is completely custom to each individual company; so that's really your first step--get USMT working with the settings and files you expect to retain.

for scanstate.exe, you'll be interested in the /p option, which dumps a file.  then you read that file to pull out the size, and dump that size into a regkey.  then regkeytomof, and you'll have the estimate in cm for that box, for YOUR settings.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:32 AM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Would a better option be to script this as part of a CI and then just report on the results? No mof edit or sql permissions necessary...

Will

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:45 AM