none
Reinstall SCCM 2007 R2 Admin Console

General discussion

• Hello,

I have a problem with the SCCM Admin Console.  We had a third party tool called Dudeworks Inventory Manager installed, and when I unistalled it to upgrade to the new version, it broke the SCCM Admin Console. SCCM is still fine, functioning properly, but the console will not open on the server.  I am able to open it on my pc, I have the console installed locally.  The error I get when trying to open the console is:

"MMC had detected and error in a snap-in and will unload it."

I get the option to report to Microsoft and shut down the console or just unload the snap-in. 

If I click unload and continue running, I get another error:

FX:{6de537a5-7a1c-4fa4-ac3a-1b6fc1036560}

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement, Version=4.0.6000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

at System.Reflection.Assembly._GetType(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
       at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(String assemblyName, String typeName)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ClassLibraryServices.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IClassLibraryServices.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInInitializationOperation.OnStart()
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RunningOperationsTable.EnqueueOperation(Operation operation)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.StandAloneComponentData..ctor(SnapInRegistrationInfo info, Int32 bookkeepingId)
       at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.FrameworkSnapInFactory.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.ISnapInFactory.CreateSnapIn(Int32 bookkeepingId, String snapInKey, Object& snapIn)

I have googled and tried every fix our there, but nothing works.  Again, this happened after I uninstalled Dudeworks Inventory Manager.  It is a snap-in that simplifies changes to the default mof files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Joe

Monday, February 28, 2011 10:09 PM

All replies

• try deleting %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\mmc\adminconsole and open the console again. If the problem is not solved, you can look at this link http://blogs.technet.com/b/smsandmom/archive/2008/09/02/configmgr-2007-unable-to-open-configuration-manager-console-error-mmc-cannot-initialize-the-snap-in.aspx
    Bechir Gharbi | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/bgharbi/
    Monday, February 28, 2011 10:25 PM
  • I have already tried deleting the file you mentioned, and I have already followed some of the steps on your link, but I don't think I fully rebuilt the performance counters.  I will go through that again.  What do performance counters have to do with an mmc console though?
    Monday, February 28, 2011 10:28 PM
  • This is what happens when I try to reinstall the adminui.console.dll:

Installing assembly 'E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       logtoconsole =
       assemblypath = E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.dll
       i =
       logfile = E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.InstallLog
    An exception occurred while trying to find the installers in the E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.dll assembly.
    System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
    Aborting installation for E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.dll.
    Rolling back assembly 'E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       logtoconsole =
       assemblypath = E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.dll
       i =
       logfile = E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.InstallLog
    An exception occurred while trying to find the installers in the E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.dll assembly.
    System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
    Aborting installation for E:\Apps\Standard\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\adminui.console.dll.

Monday, February 28, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Joe, Make sure your Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.dll still exist in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin directory, if not then replace with a copy from your workstation. Not sure why that would have gotten deleted, we've never had any reports of that happening during uninstall.

email be directly if you still need assistance at rob@dudeworks.com

-Rob Olson

Rob Olson
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:05 AM
  • It wasn't there.  I have copied the file over, but it's still not working.  Do I have to restart the server?
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:26 PM
  • FYI - I have restarted the server and I still get an error.  A different one this time:

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)

at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(String assemblyName, String typeName)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.ClassLibraryServices.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IClassLibraryServices.CreateSnapIn(String assemblyName, String typeName)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInInitializationOperation.OnStart()

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RunningOperationsTable.EnqueueOperation(Operation operation)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.StandAloneComponentData..ctor(SnapInRegistrationInfo info, Int32 bookkeepingId)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.FrameworkSnapInFactory.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Advanced.ISnapInFactory.CreateSnapIn(Int32 bookkeepingId, String snapInKey, Object& snapIn)

At the moment, I don’t have an inventory manager installed.  I had tried to install the new version to see if that would fix it, but it did not, so I’ve uninstalled.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:07 PM
  • I want to update here in case this fix works for anyone else.  This is from Rob at DudeWorks:

Hi Joe, try coping all the files from your workstation BIN folder and only replace whats missing, theres 1 or 2 more console assemblies that effect that might be missing.

As soon as I did this the console opened up. Looks like I was just missing some dll files.

A big thank you to Rob. 

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:42 PM
  • I had a problem with one of our SCCM site servers that was recently built. The console would only load with the reporting services node, I thought it strange as I had not launched the console before on that server. 

I used the suggestion of deleting the adminconsole file within the %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\mmc\ directory, which returned the console to its default state.

I can only assume there was some corruption upon the initial launch of the console on that server. 

Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:04 PM