none
VM networks - NetworkVirutlaization - VMs cant communicated with each other when they have static ip addresses

Question

• HI All,

I cant assign static ip addresses to the the VMs that are using network virtualization. Basically  if I assign them static ip addresses that are different from what i get with cmdlet: Get-NetVirtualizationLookupRecord the VMs cant ping each other.

This happens when  I have and dont have a  static IP pool defined for the VMnetwork.

If I set dhcp on the VMs ping between the VMs work, if i assign them the same ip addresses that I see with  Get-NetVirtualizationLookupRecord it works, but if i assign them a different static ip address the ping doesnt work. Remove-NetVirtualizationLookupRecord didnt help.

On the Logical Network, I also have an IP Pool defined for the PA addresses. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Zarko

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 9:47 AM

Answers

• SCVMM has to assign the static IP to the VM (this only happens on provisioning).

To make SCVMM do this you have to save the VM to the Library then deploy it again.

You cannot manually assign the IP in the OS of the VM.  (if you do it MUST match the IP of the Lookup Record).

You cannot modify the Lookup Records.  As that will breaks SCVMM management of them.

This is one of those all or nothing things.  SCVMM has to be in Full control for it all to work.  Partial does not cut it.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:24 PM
  • 'concept' - that is the key word.

And the implementation is not as literal as you are attempting to be. 

BYoIP pretty much means that you can bring your own subnet (range of IP addresses).  Both Azure IaaS and SCVMM implement it in this way.  And in both cases the management layer must be in charge of assigning the IP addresses to the VMs from the range that you define.

This is how you define the range - your own IP range.  Not the individual IP address of an individual VM.  The management layer must be the one that is in control of the IP for it all to work.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Marked as answer by ZarkoC Monday, March 11, 2013 5:43 PM
    Monday, March 11, 2013 3:21 PM

All replies

• Since SCVMM is controlling the Network Virtualization, SCVMM must also be in control of the IP addresses of the VMs.  So, you need a PA pool that is routable on your physical fabric layer.  And an IP Pool of CA addresses that is assigned to your VMs.

the NetVirtualizationLookupRecord is analogous to a routing table in a router.  You read it like this: For VM IP address 192.168.1.2 (the CA) you need to go to the Virtual Switch address 10.200.50.99 (the PA)

if the IP you give your VM is different, then the routing table is broken.  But it is your fault, not the virtualization layers fault.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Hi Biran,

Does that mean, that I cant add a static ip address for the CA pool to a VM, unless i add the route records for that IP address?

Tx

Zarko

Thursday, March 07, 2013 2:45 PM
  • SCVMM has to assign the static IP to the VM (this only happens on provisioning).

To make SCVMM do this you have to save the VM to the Library then deploy it again.

You cannot manually assign the IP in the OS of the VM.  (if you do it MUST match the IP of the Lookup Record).

You cannot modify the Lookup Records.  As that will breaks SCVMM management of them.

This is one of those all or nothing things.  SCVMM has to be in Full control for it all to work.  Partial does not cut it.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 5:24 PM
  • But how does that go with the bring your own IP concept for the VM virutalization networks?

Tx

Zarko

Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:55 PM
  • 'concept' - that is the key word.

And the implementation is not as literal as you are attempting to be. 

BYoIP pretty much means that you can bring your own subnet (range of IP addresses).  Both Azure IaaS and SCVMM implement it in this way.  And in both cases the management layer must be in charge of assigning the IP addresses to the VMs from the range that you define.

This is how you define the range - your own IP range.  Not the individual IP address of an individual VM.  The management layer must be the one that is in control of the IP for it all to work.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Marked as answer by ZarkoC Monday, March 11, 2013 5:43 PM
    Monday, March 11, 2013 3:21 PM