none
Activating System Center Service Manager 2012 (trial to full)

Question

• Dear colleagues,

How do I activate a trial version of System Center Service Manager 2012? I have a valid key and no where to enter it :)

Sincerely,

Jos.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Jos,

This is a common question and the answer is that you cannot. You have no option but to reinstall the entire product. Export any management packs, reinstall the Service Manager with the product key then re-import your management packs.

Frustrating but you have no option.

Dean

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Hello every body

I want to share with you my experience with this issue.

The steps that I did to fix the issue are below:

Note: this procedures will be doable if your SCSM not SP1

1-      Unregister the SCSM DW server

2-      Upgrade the SQL Server to R2 SP2 (if not)

3-      Install Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012 Service Manager (KB2719827) on SCSM Server (Prerequisite)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30410

4-      Install  SQL Server 2012 Analysis Management Objects on SCSM Server (Prerequisite)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29065

5-      Disable the “Windows Time” Service on SCSM Server and change the ate to earlier date like two or three month ago

6-      Run SCSM SP1 upgrade wizard and in the wizard type the Product Key the place

7-      Finish the upgrade process

8-      Enable “Windows Time” service and revert back the date to the current date

Till this step the SCSM Management Server is functional properly.

• Marked as answer by Jos Lieben Monday, April 29, 2013 9:46 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Jos,

This is a common question and the answer is that you cannot. You have no option but to reinstall the entire product. Export any management packs, reinstall the Service Manager with the product key then re-import your management packs.

Dean

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Dan is correct that you must do a reinstall.  Don't forget that you will need to to restore the key created for the database during reinstall.  Make sure you have it saved before starting the process.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant, Now Micro - http://www.nowmicro.com <--- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hi Jos,

Dean

I don't mean to sound unprofessional, but I'm going to anyway: that's total crap. Not your fault of course, but due reason for me to bin the entire product. Not exactly sensible, not logical, not customer-friendly, not logical, and wait, did I say not logical enough yet? Never going to recommend scsm to any of my customers again. Plenty of other alternatives with hassle-free and more mature products out there.

But thanks both of you for the quick answers :)

• Edited by Jos Lieben Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:26 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Dan is correct that you must do a reinstall.  Don't forget that you will need to to restore the key created for the database during reinstall.  Make sure you have it saved before starting the process.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant, Now Micro - http://www.nowmicro.com <--- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

You can't use same database. You MUST create new database for your non-eval installation.

SCSMSolutions
    email: freemanru (at) gmail (dot) com

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Jos, I share some of your sentiment. I was also caught with this very same problem when I have built the entire solution for my costumer, ready to go and had to tell them that we lose all the existing data from the trial install. It caught me out but it is actually documented in the solution documentation, although it is not very clear.

"The evaluation edition times out 180 days after installation. If you start with an evaluation version of Service Manager and you rerun Setup and install the retail edition or select edition, and you decide to use the existing databases that you created originally, your installation will time out after the original expiration date. "

I feel your frustration. I was left with egg on my face but it will only happen once.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Jos, I share some of your sentiment. I was also caught with this very same problem when I have built the entire solution for my costumer, ready to go and had to tell them that we lose all the existing data from the trial install. It caught me out but it is actually documented in the solution documentation, although it is not very clear.

"The evaluation edition times out 180 days after installation. If you start with an evaluation version of Service Manager and you rerun Setup and install the retail edition or select edition, and you decide to use the existing databases that you created originally, your installation will time out after the original expiration date. "

I feel your frustration. I was left with egg on my face but it will only happen once.

Hehe yes, you bet it'll only happen once...cuz I'm not touching SCSM 2012 again. Perhaps a future version when this is fixed :)
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Will the upgrade to RTM not be a supported method once SP1 ships? Why does SCCM and SCOM support the upgrade but not SCSM?

Monday, December 10, 2012 4:03 AM
  • Hi all,

Based on what you say about activatingSCSM2012, I raised some doubts, why not be reinstalled on the same database that was used for the ASSESSMENT? What is the problema to be presented? and again, there is an evenSCSM2012to actívate without reinstalling.

I wanted an idea comes and corroborate them with you, if I install another management server roles and step prior to this, it could be a good alternative.

Greetings and thanks for your valuable help.

Friday, February 01, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Thank you for your effort.

I want to ask;

What if we upgrade to scsm-sp1 and in the setup wizard we entered the product key, is this can convert the scsm from evaluation to full?

Best Regards

Sunday, April 21, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Hello every body

3-      Install Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012 Service Manager (KB2719827) on SCSM Server (Prerequisite)

4-      Install  SQL Server 2012 Analysis Management Objects on SCSM Server (Prerequisite)

5-      Disable the “Windows Time” Service on SCSM Server and change the ate to earlier date like two or three month ago

6-      Run SCSM SP1 upgrade wizard and in the wizard type the Product Key the place

8-      Enable “Windows Time” service and revert back the date to the current date

• Marked as answer by Jos Lieben Monday, April 29, 2013 9:46 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Hello every body

nice job there, I'll mark it as answer even though I have not verified this as I switched to Topdesk :)
    Monday, April 29, 2013 9:47 AM
  •     I think because it is developed by a different team inside Microsoft.

SCCM and SCOM have always been customer centric product right from origin while SCSM code is having a different history

Shahid Roofi

Monday, April 29, 2013 7:24 PM
  •   I think this would still not be a supported method even if it have been found to be working on pre SP1 media.

Shahid Roofi

Monday, April 29, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Microsoft Support has a tool to change SCSM serial code!

We had this problem here and engineers microsoft decided for us.

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:36 PM