none
RPC server is unavailable hyper-v server 2012

Question

• HI All

So I’m thinking about updating my virtual hosts so I wanted to try Hyper-V server 2012

So I downloaded and installed on a box, and installed windows 8 enterprise on another box.

Setup as follows

Both fix IP, DNS is correct for both boxes

Both on the same domain 

Both have firewalls disabled

Both can ping each other

However if I try to Disk managed the Hyper-v box from the windows 8 machine or try and create a Virtual machine I get a whole host of errors. 

Main error I am getting is the following one

An Error occurred while attempting to connect to <server>. Check that the virtual machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server.

Cannot connect to RPC service on the Computer '<server name>, make sure your RPC service is running.

So my question is there a simple step by step guild anywhere I can follow to get this working, as it’s been two days now investigating trying all sorts of fixes and nothing is working. 

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:34 PM

All replies

• have you enabled remote management via the sconfig menu?

What account are you trying to connect via? there is a Hyper-V administrator group on the host that you can add the user to if not using administrator or someone in the administrators group

You can also check that the vmms service is running

in the cmd console on the hyper-v server write

powershell.exe

get-service vmms

and see if it is running

Here is a simple get started guide but maybe not covering your problems : http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2012/09/07/getting-started-with-hyper-v-server-2012-hyperv-virtualization-itpro.aspx#.USy8rVrrkww
    • Edited by vNiklasMVP Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:47 PM
    • Proposed as answer by David Hedin Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:01 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:45 PM
  • HI thank you getting back to me 

so i have added my domain admin account to the local administrators group on the server

have enabled the hyper-v box for remote management 

have checked the services, VMM is running 

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:57 PM
  • really strange

To see if you could add a vm on the host you can use the Powershell cmdlets

in the cmd window, type powershell.exe and then type New-VM -NoVHD -Name EMSVM01 -MemoryStartupBytes 256MB

does that work?

can you run 

Get-VM 

and then see the VM? 

and then run  Start-VM EMSVM01

What kind of hardware did you install the Hyper-V server on? is the virtualization cpu feature enabled and updated? 

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:17 PM
  • I have a similar problem connecting to Hyper-v server 2012.

Everything is set up right. Both machines in the same domain, logging in as the same domain admin (who's doubly added as a local admin)

If I reboot my vm a few times I can get it to work, but it rarely works on the first try.

I have a third-party administration tool that I'm trying out and it seems to work fine-- and even on Windows 7.

Friday, November 08, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this?
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Yes,... can't you see? "it is 'marked' as an answer and everything.  Clearly he got 'points' for calling his worthless drivel an answer, and I spent my time here reading this question that really has no answers yet because when I searched TechNet for it, it came up as "Answered Question"

...more time wasted thanks to Microsoft's "point" system taking precedence over actual valuable answers in the forums....

Friday, January 24, 2014 11:57 PM