none
P2V Conversion, will it trigger Windows Activation?

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding performing P2V (Physical to Virtual)
    conversions.  I am aware that on Windows XP / Vista / Server Editions,
    windows activation will be triggered by making significant hardware changes. 
    I am wondering if the MS Virtual Machine Manager P2V Wizard does anything to
    prevent this from happening, as I'm assuming that a P2V conversion would
    constitute a significant hardware change.

I have already verified that a P2V converstion does in fact cause windows
    activation to launch.  However, this P2V conversion was performed via
    Symantec's System Recovery software, which allows you to convert a hard drive
    image into a .VHD file.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Is it even a problem?  I have never
    had to re-activate an alreadly activated product key before.  Can it be done
    online, or is a phone call to MS necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, November 30, 2007 1:35 PM

Answers

•  

yes, depending on the type of your licence the reactivation might be required.

I'd assume online activation should be sufficient, but I am not 100% sure about the details of activation process.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 7:47 AM

All replies

•  

yes, depending on the type of your licence the reactivation might be required.

I'd assume online activation should be sufficient, but I am not 100% sure about the details of activation process.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 7:47 AM
  • Does anyone know how many times you can re-activate a Windows Server 2003 license?  I'd be doing it for the 2nd time when activating the Virtual copy.  Does MS give you a break and let you re-activate a key online a few times without calling it in?

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:49 PM
  • My experience is 1 - 3 times per six months depending upon the edition, flavor, and distribution when using the online/internet method of Product Activation. (Microsoft resets some counters on some products at different frequencies to help reduce calls to the Clearinghouse.)

But your answer is that you can re-activate it via Telephone as many times as you need.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:49 AM
  • Re Generate the Installation ID by Entering the CD key again and then generate the Confirmation ID
    Monday, June 06, 2011 10:55 AM