none
After Clone, Win7 VM Never Fully Boots "Starting Windows"

Question

• I just setup my SCVMM environment on a 2008 R2 SP1 server so I'm very new to the application.  These are the steps I did. Did I do something wrong and/or is there something else I should try?

1. I created a golden image of a win7 vm on one of our hosts and sysprepped it. The sysprep method I used is the same method I use on every physical win7 machine.  It can be found here: http://theitbros.com/sysprep-a-windows-7-machine-%E2%80%93-start-to-finish
    2. The vm was in the off state after sysprep.  I then went to SCVMM and cloned it. No errors.
    3. I then started the cloned vm and it's hung up at "Starting Windows" screen. 
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:20 PM

All replies

• Have you tried rebooting the VM (forcing a reboot)?

I ask because I have seen similar behavior with cloned VMs and WIM images to physical systems.  Seems to be something happening in the hardware detection that is getting hung up.

Any custom settings in your unattend.xml?  Such as the setting to not-redetect legacy hardware (this sometimes gets over issues).

Also, did you fully update the VM and install the Integration Components before sysprep?

(just asking the questions, I am sure that other folks will have ideas as well)

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

• Marked as answer by ajcke Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:17 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ajcke Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:51 PM
  • It appears the issue is with my win7 vm.  I just started it up and it does the same thing as the cloned vm.  I can check off the list that cloning in scvmm works.  Now on to figure out why my sysprep method isn't working on vm's. 

THANKS!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Probably should change the name of this thread from "After Clone..." to "After Sysprep..."  I'm still having this problem.  I create a new vm and install win7. I quit using the answer file to make sure that isn't the issue. If I sysprep, OOBE and Generalize, the vm shuts down.  When I start it it hangs at Starting Windows for hours and never shuts off or goes to another screen. It's a Win7 64bit VM.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Are you applying sysprep or are you selecting the VM in SCVMM right clicking and telling SCVMM to make it a template?

If you are using SCVMM to make a template from the VM, then SCVMM will sysprep it again.

Also, is this Win7 with or without SP1?  I have had problems myself before SP1, the OS stumbles at hardware detection as it comes out of sysprep.

Also, is the Template hardware profile the same as the VM hardware configuraiton?

And are the Integration Components updated in the VM?

Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Right now I'm trying to do everything within the host's hyper-v manager to make sure scvmm isn't the issue. I create a win7 sp1 vm, boot into audit mode, install windows updates, install integration services, and finally sysprep. When I start the machine it hangs at "Starting Windows".

The reason I sysprep here (hyper-v manager) is because when in scvmm I try to create a vm from a template it gets to the end and errors stating the selected vhd has not been generalized.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:26 PM
  • To rule out your sysprep process don't boot into audit mode to apply the updates.

Just let it fully exit sysprep and apply everything.  Then run sysprep again.

There is no longer the limit on the number of time you can run sysprep, over and over again (I think it was the XP timeframe that you had a limit where you needed to re-build the image).

Just install the OS, SP1, all patches, the Integration components, and then run sysprep.  You should not have to use audit mode for this.

Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:02 PM
  • I need to copy the profile.  I thought I had to setup the profile in audit mode >> sysprep >> set copy profile to true in the answer file.

• Edited by ajcke Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Yes, but all the patching and what not to the system should be done before that.

Audit Mode was origionally designed for OEMs to pre-package systems.  Unless you are trying to do something like that with a VM you don't need to mess with Audit mode.  Especially not with Win 7 and newer.

Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:22 PM
  • Are you recommending these steps? Let me know if I need to change something.

1. Create VM
    2. Install Win7
    3. Instead of entering audit mode upon first boot go through setup - username, computer name, time zone, etc...
    4. Install updates
    5. Install integration services
    6. Install all applications
    7. Boot into audit mode and customize profile
    8. sysprep, OOBE and Generalize
    9. Use SCVMM to create a template from this vhd
    10. Deploy multiple vms from this template though powershell.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Yes.

I personally have never customized the profile using audit mode.  I have always driven all that using Active Directory group policy and or logon / logoff scripting.

I always follow what you outline omitting step 7.

If in SCVMM you select the deployed VM and right click to create a template from your VM you can also skip step 8 as SCVMM will do that for you. 

If you copy the VHD to the library to create a template from it, then you have to do step 8 manually.  Step 8.5 copy VHD to SCVMM library.

Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:40 PM
  • I've been copying the vhd to the library to create a template from it because my host isn't joined to the domain it's given a perimeter network status.  SCVMM doesn't allow me to select a deployed VM and create a template from the VM.  I get an error, cannot create template from vm. It's on a perimeter network...And when I do step 8 manually the vm hangs at Starting Windows screen.

There are so many applications that we use that I cannot customize through GP.  I try not to make a user have to setup their own profile every time they login to a new vm. 

• Edited by ajcke Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:03 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:02 PM
  • I just went through steps 1-8 skipping step 7 and the computer restarted okay.  Now if I can copy the profile of the user I create in step 3 I'd be up and running.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Yes, that is right as kerberos is not available to authenticate the copy back to the SCVMM Library.

The ISO, yes that error as well - cannot have an ISO attached when creating or deploying a template.  This is an easy error with all virtualization vendors ;-)

Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:55 PM
  • hmm..  Back in the NT and XP days I used to create custom default user profiles. 

Golly, it has been so long, but that is what we did back then - we created a user profile all the way we wanted it and there was some archane way to replace the default with the custom one.

Did it on terminal server too.

I wish I could recall how.

Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:57 PM