none
Installing SCVMM & vCenter on the same host

Question

• Is it possible to install SCVMM on the same host as vCenter without destroying the installation?

I understand vCenter doesn't work if IIS is installted on the host machine.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:04 PM

Answers

• SCVMM does not require IIS (only the Self Service portal optional part does).

SCVMM requires either Server 2008 (for SCVMM 2008) or Server 2008 R2 (for SCVMM R2) - I think vCenter 4.1 is the first to support Server 2008 R2 as a host.

Frankly, I don't see why you couldn't as long as the server has enough power - there are not any port conflicts that I can think of.

The only thing would be if there was some policy that prevented SCVMM from looping back to vCenter on the same machine.

IMHO - I don't see why you couldn't try it (on a test machine) and see what happens.  I would not try it on my production vCenter without testing it first.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:51 PM

All replies

• SCVMM does not require IIS (only the Self Service portal optional part does).

SCVMM requires either Server 2008 (for SCVMM 2008) or Server 2008 R2 (for SCVMM R2) - I think vCenter 4.1 is the first to support Server 2008 R2 as a host.

Frankly, I don't see why you couldn't as long as the server has enough power - there are not any port conflicts that I can think of.

The only thing would be if there was some policy that prevented SCVMM from looping back to vCenter on the same machine.

IMHO - I don't see why you couldn't try it (on a test machine) and see what happens.  I would not try it on my production vCenter without testing it first.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Did not work for me  on first install.

VCenter was working fine, and i installed MVMM and now neither product will work. Hmmmmmm. More thinking today . . .

Sunny Lowe

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:13 PM