none
Query for Server Core

Question

• SCCM 2007 SP2 R3

SCCM newbie, here. I need to build a Collection of Server Core computers. I followed this article--

http://www.myitforum.com/absolutenm/templates/Articles.aspx?articleid=19806&zoneid=89

--to modify sms_def.mof. Having trouble figuring out where to go from here.

I've run a Policy update & Hardware Inventory on a Core machine and a Full machine so there should be at least 2 records by now (24 hours later).

Am I correct that when I build a query, I should now see Operating System SKU as an Attribute of the Operating System Attribute Class? It is not there.

And would this be the correct WQL?

select *  from  SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OperatingSystemSKU = "12" OR
    SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OperatingSystemSKU = "13" OR
    SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OperatingSystemSKU = "14" OR
    SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OperatingSystemSKU = "42"

SCCM console shows the Query as Server Core [*The ConfigMgr Provider reported an error.*]

I've triple-checked the sms_def.mof change; it's identical to the article.

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:13 PM

All replies

• Have you check the WMI to check whether these information are populated or not?

Anoop C Nair - Twitter @anoopmannur

MY BLOG:  http://anoopmannur.wordpress.com

SCCM Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Yes. In fact I have a Server Core WMI Filter for Group Policy that uses OperatingSystemSKU; works great:

SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem
    WHERE OperatingSystemSKU = 12
    OR OperatingSystemSKU = 13
    OR OperatingSystemSKU = 14
    OR OperatingSystemSKU = 42

And FWIW, it appears to have worked for the blog author...

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Have you done any troubleshooting on hardware inventory front? Troubleshooting Hardware Inventory Flow - Garth Jones . If not give a try?

SCCM Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Even without modifying inventory, you should be able to use this query:

select distinct SMS_R_System.NetbiosName, SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.Caption from  SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.Caption like "%Core%"

I do not have any Server Core clients so it may not work, but I don't know why it wouldn't...

--Joe.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Thanks; that probably will work, and that may be my fallback. But the OperatingSystemSKU added in Win 6.x WMI finally gives us a bulletproof way to identify the OS flavor abstracted from the naming whims of marketing departments, so it's worth spending some time on.

Also want to take this opportunity to learn a little more about SCCM. The troubleshooting article provided by Anoop is very poorly written--how do I launch Resource Manager? Where is SMS Trace? Where will I find the log files? I'm finding the answers but that's slowing me down a lot. But I guess what I have to puzzle out for myself I'll have a better chance of remembering!

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:32 PM
  • To answer a couple of questions:

SMS Trace can be found in the SCCM Toolkit.

Resource Explorer can be launched from the ConfigMgr Admin Console. Expand Collections\All Systems (or any Collection for that matter), right-click the Resource, and then click Start|Resource Explorer.

The documentation is really well written, and there are training classes that you can take, both classroom style and online if your company will let you.

Good luck.

--Joe.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Also want to take this opportunity to learn a little more about SCCM. The troubleshooting article provided by Anoop is very poorly written--how do I launch Resource Manager? Where is SMS Trace? Where will I find the log files? I'm finding the answers but that's slowing me down a lot. But I guess what I have to puzzle out for myself I'll have a better chance of remembering!

Yes, you may need to learn more about SCCM and that article is not for a newbie. The author of that article is greatly respected gentleman in SCCM/SMS/ConfigMgr world.

SCCM Professionals

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:50 PM
  • We appear to be falling down at the MPFDM stage. The prior step completed at 11:48 AM, but the filename shown for the client in the MP_HINV.log does not exist anywhere in mpfdm.log.

In fact, from the article, it looks like I should be seeing the word "Moving" at the beginning of lines from time to time, but that word is also not present in the log.

So what's next?

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

Have you modified sms_def.mof under <SCCM install DIR>\inboxes\clifiles.src\hinv. And the OperatingSystemSKU attribute is not added to the sms_def.mof file but defined in the Win32_OperatingSystem WMI class. So you have to add this attribute to class: "Win32_OperatingSystem : SMS_Class_Template".

[SMS_Report (TRUE)     ]
    uint32    OperatingSystemSKU;

Then to verify whether hardware inventory had collected OperatingSystemSKU attribute, check the v_GS_OPERATING_SYSTEM SQL view to see whether any operatingsystemSKU column is involved.

Here is a technet blog about troubleshooting hardware inventory:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sudheesn/archive/2010/05/31/troubleshooting-sccm-part-ii-hardware-inventory.aspx

Hope this will help.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JRV529088 Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:41 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Thanks for your post, Quan.

Working on this with Partner support. As yet, no resolution. At this time, my fault: Lack of time to pursue what should have been a very simple issue. But the bottom line from CSS is that what IS happening should NOT be happening. And, thus, definitely NOT "answered".

Will follow up here WHEN, AND ONLY WHEN, it is resolved with Partner support. Until then, please do NOT mark this as (yet another) (yes, pet peeve, here) erroneously "answered" TechNet thread--when it is NOT even REMOTELY answered!

Threads may be "answered" "marked as answered", or "not answered". Moderators should not be empowered to mark incorrect answers as answers, no matter how badly Microsoft would like to see threads marked as answered.

Lest there be any doubt, this thread is, until further notice from ME, THE ORIGINAL POSTER-and specifically not a moderator--very much "NOT ANSWERED", or at best "PROPOSED AS ANSWER".

• Edited by JRV529088 Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:57 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Did you ever find an answer to this?
    http://www.enhansoft.com/
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:54 PM
  • No, unfortunately. I blew it off as it was costing WAY more time to solve than it will ever save me. Used GPOs to do what I'd wanted SCCM to do. Hopefully, SCCM 2012 will include this in the box!
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Rounding this out...  just a guess, but likely the reason you couldn't successfully get sku was because if you extend the existing mof class for the sku, any OS that don't have that attribute in WMI just error out.  so you have to do the below to have only the boxes that actually have that attribute, report it.  You get an extra table/view in your database.

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/skissinger/archive/2010/12/27/determining-server08-core-using-hardware-inventory.aspx

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 12:08 PM
  • Last night I edit my sms_def.mof, this morning I have results for most of my lab.

This morning, I created an query then use that query I created a collection, both without errors. This is the query that I used.

select 
    from  
    	SMS_R_System 
    	inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId 
    where 
    	SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OperatingSystemSKU = "10" OR
    	SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OperatingSystemSKU = "8" OR 
    	SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.OperatingSystemSKU = "1" 

http://www.enhansoft.com/
    Friday, January 20, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Glad it's working for you!

That's exactly what I posted, except for the SKUs. But MIFs returned by the clients were malformed, missing the "Type = " value, and SCCM rejected them.

Partner online support gave me a query (identical to mine) to copy-and-paste, and it still came back with the same malformed MIFs. We pursued it a little farther before I had to move on to higher-value projects and abandoned my Server Core Collection in favor of tried-and-true GPO + WMI Filter.

Brand new SCCM install with, at the time, very little about it that wasn't out-of-the-box default. Everything else we use here (so far) works. Bizarre.

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I know this is an old post, but I thought I would help others out.  I am using SCCM 2012 and by default the hardware inventory does not pull the operatingsystemSKU.  I do not know if this is the same in 2007, but I thought it might be.

I was having the same problem, but noticed that everything I tried to create a collection using OperatingSystemSKU the values were blank like SCCM was not collecting the data.....This is what I found to be the solution.

Go to Administration> Client Settings> and edit your client settings(I did not use the default,  I created a custom one).  Go to Hardware Inventory and click on Set Classes.  Scroll down to Operating System and expand that class.  Scroll down to Operating System Sku and select it and hit ok.

Remote into the remote system and perform a hardware inventory scan, set your hardware inventory cycle to run once a day, or use the right click tool to run a hardware inventory scan on the pc (from configuration manager)

Hope this helps.

Friday, May 23, 2014 7:19 PM