none
Adobe Flash Player 11 updates failing to approve

General discussion

• Hello all,

Has anyone else attempted to download and approve the latest Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX or Plugin updates from the Adobe partner catalog in System Center Essentials 2010? The updates seem to import okay, but I'm receiving the following error message when I try to approve the updates:

CreateDirectory failed

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.FileSystemUtilities.CreateDirectory(String path)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.CreatePackageDirectory(String customDirectoryName)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.PublishPackage(String sourcePath, String additionalSourcePath, String packageDirectoryName)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.UI.Console.UpdatesSpace.Forms.ApproveUpdateForm.BackgroundWorkerApproveUpdatesDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Anyone else seen this error before and have a suggestion on how to resolve it? Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:59 PM

All replies

• I have successfully approved and downloaded the latest flash.

Just waiting for it to install on the clients...

Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:52 AM
  • Hello,

Here is a similar thread for your information:

Problem setting up Software Deployment.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenterdevelopment/thread/ecdd6e25-9aab-4d52-8042-4d92a9e61a98

Please check if the steps can help.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 07, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Hello all,

Has anyone else attempted to download and approve the latest Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX or Plugin updates from the Adobe partner catalog in System Center Essentials 2010? The updates seem to import okay, but I'm receiving the following error message when I try to approve the updates:

CreateDirectory failed

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.FileSystemUtilities.CreateDirectory(String path)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.CreatePackageDirectory(String customDirectoryName)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.PublishPackage(String sourcePath, String additionalSourcePath, String packageDirectoryName)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.UI.Console.UpdatesSpace.Forms.ApproveUpdateForm.BackgroundWorkerApproveUpdatesDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Anyone else seen this error before and have a suggestion on how to resolve it? Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer.

I am getting the same error on a brand new SCE 2010 Install. All my other system updates are properly applying but the Adobe Flash Player updates continue to fail the approval process just as above.

Randall
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Dealt with this in depth and worked with Shavlik to figure out a workaround for the Flash Update issue (specifically the Flash update specific to IE...the plug-in based updates tend to work OK without anything special). You can try this at your discretion:

To fix Adobe Flash Update installation failures download and install Microsoft System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) - only the publisher application....nothing else. It is a small install file. I am using version 4.50.1103. You will need to set up a new database for SCUP to use. It will be a small DB and can go on the same instance as your SCE DB. During installation, set your SCE instance as the target for publishing updates.

Once you have SCUP working, load in the Adobe Update CAB file into the SCUP console. Locate the Adobe Flash update you wish to approve, and right click & edit it. In Extended Properties, change the restart preference from "Can Request Reboot" to "Always Require Reboot". You can leave all settings the same and click Finish. Click the column to Publish the update - you will see a green flag. Then in the right navigation pane click Publish Updates to publish the update(s) to your SCE server.

Then, open your SCE console, navigate to Updates and locate the update that your just published from SCUP (you can find the right one by looking for the correct publish date). Approve the update normally. Users will have to restart after installing the update, but it should install normally.

I've been using the above method for about a year. Its kind of a pain (especially since Flash tends to have frequent updates)...but it beats manual update on every single machine. After you do this a couple of times it only takes about 2 minutes to get the whole thing done.

There are also some current issues installing 32-bit Java updates to 64-bit Windows 7. I recommend this article for more info:
    http://sms-hints-tricks.blogspot.com/2010/10/32bit-java-install-for-vista-win-7.html

You basically have to do an application deployment & create your own package for the Java update to work on the 64-bit OS. Download the offline Java install file (full version, for the current version you want to push out). On a workstation, double click the install file to start the install wizard, but DO NOT continue with the installation. Look into the temporary installation folder referenced in the cited article above, copy out all contents of the folder. Essentially, the install file is an EXE, but when you start the install wizard it unpacks the files and reveals an MSI. Then, create a new deployment and point it to the folder, which contains all of the items that were extracted from the .exe. Approve the package normally in SCE.

Hope this helps someone! I spent a couple of months figuring out the Adobe Flash updates. Java was a hassle too.

-Brad

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Did you guys found a solution for this?

I have the same issue with all Software Packages I'm trying to create.

Until now, I tried two different packages, from the SCE Console on the machine and remote. Reinstalled SCE 2010 twice. With no luck :(

The error is the same: CreateDirectory failed.

Please heeelp!

Cheers,

Monday, March 19, 2012 3:57 PM
  • This thread pertains to Adobe Updates and Java updates only. It sounds like you are having a much more generic problem with the application. Recommend you start another separate thread after you do some searching first.

Good luck with your issue.

-Brad

Monday, March 19, 2012 4:47 PM