none
Remote SQL - Error 1327. Invalid Drive

Question

• Attempting to use a remote SQL server instance (SQL 2005 SP1). Install using local instance works fine but it's slow.

After browsing for the remote instance, the 'Database Location - Store the databases in the following location:'  dialogue automagically fills in with the database file location on the remote instance.  I am unable to modify the path for the database.  The install proceeds and fails with 'Error 1327.Invalid Drive: f:\'. 

Drive F: does not exist on the SCE server.  I used subst to create drive f: and get an error '1320 The path is too long'.  It was worth a shot...

Why does the install want to use a path for a database file that is local to the remote SQL server only?  How does one use a remote instance of SQL (i.e. workaround)?

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 2:33 PM

Answers

• Found out if you map the drive to the location SCE wants to put the physical database and log files, the error does not occur.

Example:

My SCE install wanted to put the physical database on F:\MDBData\MSSQL\Data.  The SCE server does not have an F: drive and fails the installation. 

I performed 'net use F: \\server\f$' on the SCE server (\\server being the netbios name of the remote SQL server).

Install does not fail with the error above.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 3:46 PM

All replies

• Found out if you map the drive to the location SCE wants to put the physical database and log files, the error does not occur.

Example:

My SCE install wanted to put the physical database on F:\MDBData\MSSQL\Data.  The SCE server does not have an F: drive and fails the installation. 

I performed 'net use F: \\server\f$' on the SCE server (\\server being the netbios name of the remote SQL server).

Install does not fail with the error above.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for bring your experience here.

For remote SQL, I would like to share some additional information with you:

1. SCE requires SQL Server 2005 Standard, Developer, Enterprise with SP1 as its remote DB.

2. Local SQL Reporting Services instance is required, even when using a remote DB.

3. The TCP/IP is used as the communicate protocol between SCE and remote SQL. You many need to configure to enable it first.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, August 09, 2007 9:19 AM
  • hello,

can anyone explain this in simpler terms for us the beginners.. i was trying to install microsoft's color pallet when the F: drive problem occured,

thanks Smile
    Friday, January 04, 2008 2:13 AM
  • If you are accessing the Setup files mapped across the network drive, ensure the drive is available and it is pointing to correct folder.
    Sivaprasad S http://sivasql.blogspot.com Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:06 AM