none
Topology & Distributed Applications

Question

• Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with SCE's awareness of topology and distributed applications. The problem I have is that SCE is monitoring 10 or more server running Exchange and AD yet it's not aware of any topology information and the distributed applications just say "not monitored". If you drill to the Exchange 2003 monitored server it correctly lists the servers and the state of the Stores, Services, Protocols and routing engines. The same applies to AD, it's aware of the DC's and basic information such as FRS services KDC events but it hasn’t discovered the replication topology or monitored it as a distributed application (Active Directory Topology Root, Exchange Services). I've ran the AD helper object on the DC's but with no additional information displayed. When trying to view events for "DC Server 2003 Events", I can’t see any discovery events or topology events.

Any pointers or checks would be nice, I'm wanting to move fast with this deployment.

Best regards

Paul

Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul -

The disabling of "smart defaults" in SCE is discussed well by Pete Zerger at:

http://www.it-jedi.net/2007/06/outsmarting-defaults-in-essentials.html

If you are considering the ROM solution, be aware that the configuration of the customer SCE is not involved in rendering of Exchange topology views in the OM instance. If the ROM scenario the SCE smart defaults remain as is (no local Exchange topology display on the SCE server).

Also be aware AD topology only works in the OM domain.

- JJ

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul -

Try these steps to get your Distributed Applications populated in SCE:

(FOR AD)

1) Authoring -> Object Discoveries -> Active Directory Connection Object -> AD Remote Topology Discovery (select the appropriate OS, Windows 2000 or Windows 2003). Override the Object Discovery for a Specific Object of type AD DC Server Computer Role. Select your DC. Change the enabled setting to true.

2) Authoring -> Object Discoveries -> Active Directory Client Perspective -> AD Client Monitoring Discovery. Override the Object Discovery for All Objects of Type Windows Computer. Change the enabled setting to true.

3) Authoring -> Object Discoveries -> Active Directory Domain -> AD Topology Discovery. Override the Object Discovery for All Objects of Type Root Management Server. Change the enabled setting to true.

4) Authoring -> Monitors -> Active Directory Client Perspective -> Entity Health -> Availability -> AD Client Connectivity Monitor. Override the Monitor for a group, and pick All Computers. Change the enabled setting to true.

5) Repeat step 4 for each of the other 3 monitors in the Active Directory Client Perspective -> Entity Health -> Availability rollup (Client GC, PDC, and Serverless Bind).

(FOR EXCHANGE)

1) Authoring -> Object Discoveries -> Exchange Organization -> Exchange 2003 Topology Discovery. Override the Object Discovery for a Specific Object of type Exchange 2003 Server Role. Select your Exchange server. Change the enabled setting to true.

2) Authoring -> Monitors -> Exchange MAPI Logon -> Entity Health -> Availability -> Exchange MAPI Logon Monitor. Override the Monitor for Specific Object of Type Exchange MAPI Logon. Select your Exchange server. Change the enabled setting to true.

All success,

JJ

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately not quite what I’m after. I understand that overrides will possibly assist with this problem and for the discovery to run but I’m more interested in why or what attributed it’s failing to detect and what object discovery rules are not running as a result. I have to deploy SCE to another 9+ sites and then I’m looking to use ROM so I need to get this right and find out why it’s happening.

I’d also like to point out (unless your using a new MP for SCE) that the rules you specified “AD remote Topology Discovery”, “AD Topology” and “Exchange MAPI Logon Monitor” do not exists. Perhaps these are SCOM rules/monitor names or you’re using a difference MP version (6.0.5000.0), I’m not sure?

Regards,

Paul Wilkinson

Friday, August 24, 2007 8:28 AM
  • Hi Paul -

The disabling of "smart defaults" in SCE is discussed well by Pete Zerger at:

http://www.it-jedi.net/2007/06/outsmarting-defaults-in-essentials.html

If you are considering the ROM solution, be aware that the configuration of the customer SCE is not involved in rendering of Exchange topology views in the OM instance. If the ROM scenario the SCE smart defaults remain as is (no local Exchange topology display on the SCE server).

Also be aware AD topology only works in the OM domain.

- JJ

Friday, August 24, 2007 2:23 PM
  • Hi Paul,

By default. SCE cannot manage and monitor computers in other forests. Please check if this is the case there.

Also, regarding ROM, as the Operations Manager will be installed at the Managed Service Providers site, and it can collect the information from the clients in different domains. The topology information will be displayed correctly.

The following is more information about distributed applications:

Distributed Application Service in Ops Man 2007, there is also a video tutorial on this topic located at the link below(this video is for SCOM, but is also reference for SCE):

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=72098

How to Create a Distributed Application Service

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437227.aspx

Hope this helps.

————————

Sincerely,

Eric Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:29 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your response, I’ve already begun building my own Distributed Application but the video came in very helpful. To answer your first point; no It’s not in another forest. The SCE server is in the root with no other child or trusts hence my concern for it not discovering the topology. My background is in MOM 2005 and I’m hoping to see something along the lines of its topology discovery displaying DC’s, replication partners, site links and bridge head servers, I’m assuming SCE has this ability still?

The second point of building my own Distributed Application is something I’ve decided to do anyway in order to get a general overview of AD services. However, I’m not able to see how the initial/built-in AD application is monitoring so I’m not able to build it with the same level of detail. At this point also I’d like to find out what discoverable attributes or values are not being picked up that would assign the devices to the distributed application that the Management Pack already comes with.

The information on the ROM is very helpful so thank you, My plan is to deploy SCE to a number of sites/customer and hopefully link them later on the products final release. While ROM is the overall goal, id still like to get SCE working independently, I’m sure you’d agree.

Looking forward to your response.

Paul Wilkinson

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:40 AM
  • Hi Paul,

For the first point, I agree with you. If child domain exists, the topology information will be displayed properly.

For the second point, the Active Directory Topology Root is a built-in Distribution application, you need to add some customized monitor object into it.

You can right click the “Active Directory Topology Root” and select “View management pack objects” – “Monitor” to create new monitor for this distribution application.

After you created it, the status will be shown at the “Monitoring Pane” – Distribution Applications.

Here is some information for your reference:

How to Create Monitors in System Center Essentials

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422759.aspx

————————

Sincerely,

Eric Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:17 AM